Jacksonville FL Looking for my first deal/deals

Jacksonville FL Looking for my first deal/deals

Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 6 votes

9 months ago I posted a post titled, Pulling the Trigger in 2017, where I said that I was finally done reading, listening, evaluating, etc...  Well here it is July and I am not much further along than I was 9 months ago.  The first part of the year was pretty hectic.  I was finishing up my MBA while working full time and raising a family.

The last two weeks I've spent reviewing BP podcasts and watching Brandon's YouTube videos.  One thing that really hit me in the face was one of Brandon's videos where he talked about time management.  I probably spend at least 2 hours of my day checking Facebook, surfing the web, or watching Naked and Afraid.  That's two hours of my day I could be using to be more active here or running test deals through the BP BRRRR calculator.

Another thing I did was to actually determine what exactly I had to invest with.  In episode 40 one of the first tips was to line up your financing.  So instead of estimating what I had to spend I called NavyFederal and went over what I actually had to work with.

We used the rental I have in Va Beach and come up with the following numbers to compare a HELOC to a Fixed Equity Loan.

When I run the number the HELOC seems more attractive. It's more flexable, pays down on the principle quicker, and currently has a better rate.

Appraised Value $210,000.00
Mortgage Balance $97,508.73
Monthly Mortgage Payment + taxes and Ins. $691.64
Monthly Rent $1,250.00
Equaity Available (Appraised Value * .70 - Balance) $49,000.00
Fixed Equity Loan 15Yr
Fixed Interest Rate (Current Rate) 8.50%
Interest ($49,000*8.5%=$4,165/12 months) $347.08
Principal $135.44
Monthly payment $482.52
HELOC
Variable Interest Rate (Current Rate) 6.50%
Interest ($49,000*6.5%=$3,185/12 months) $265.42
Principal $224.58
Monthly payment $490.00

During the last 7 months I've also saved up about $10,000 in cash.  So my all in investment amount is about $59,000.  This morning on my way into work I listened to another YouTube video from Brandon about ways to invest $65K. Buy one property, buy multiple properties, etc...  Flipping back to my notes on ways Real Estate can make you money buying multiple properties not only bring in multiple lines of cash flow but also multiple Appreciation values and tax credits.

So now on to the part I am really strangling with...Find the deals. I have scoured through Zillow, Redfin, REO sites, etc... When I think I find a great deal I run it through gauntlet of calculations (1-2% rule, 50% rule, Not paying more that 70% of ARV, etc..) then that great deal isn't so great.

Is there anyone local that would like to team up or provide guidance on finding that first deal. 

Thanks everyone.

Mike

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    Hi @Michael Abernathy,

    I'm local and I would be happy to meet up and help out. Feel free to reach out and we'll set something up.

  • Investor · Las Vegas. Jacksonville, Bay Area Ca, Nv, Ca, Fl · Member since 2015 · 511 posts · 220 votes
    9y

    @Michael Abernathy, Man, if you don't just get in there and get your first deal done. Education is king but it can also be a hinderance. I read everything I could get my hands on when I wanted to learn more about investing but it took a leap of faith and I went for it. I have learned more by actually flipping properties then any book or podcast can teach. It also became apparent that all I read, watched and listened to didn't even come close to what I found out there in the trenches. Real Estate is very dynamic and you have to adapt to the changing market as you maneuver through it. The 1%, 50% ,70% rules and on and on doesn't always stand to be true. Example: 70% Rule, If one aspect of the calculations can be manipulated then this rule is no longer viable. You see I can rehab a property for about half of what most can because I own a Construction and Plumbing Company. So if you run numbers and I run numbers on the same property the rule may work for me but not for you. What I am telling you is that you must get out there and find your strong attributes and use them to customize a program that works for you. Good luck !

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 138 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Robert Rayford:

    @Michael Abernathy, You see I can rehab a property for about half of what most can because I own a Construction and Plumbing Company. So if you run numbers and I run numbers on the same property the rule may work for me but not for you. What I am telling you is that you must get out there and find your strong attributes and use them to customize a program that works for you. Good luck !


    Essentially, you have a competitive advantage.  And, in this case, it is an advantage that allows you to pursue and profit from deals that appear marginal (or as losers) to other potential investors.  I agree this type of advantage is an enormous benefit.....I just don't see how it helps Robert or his quest to find deals.  If he dives in, buys wrong, and takes a loss.....yes, he may learn something he needs to learn about the flipping process, but it could be a costly education.....and in the end, the one thing we can be sure of is that he won't have learned the one thing he is asking about now: how to find the deals. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.