Newbie's possible 1st (and 2nd) deal. Need help with the numbers

Newbie's possible 1st (and 2nd) deal. Need help with the numbers

Investor · Plainville, CT · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote

So I just got off the phone with listing agent that I called about a duplex listed on the MLS for $165000. Located in central Connecticut. It's a very middle class neighborhood. It's an "as is" property subject to probate. No pictures available but one front photo of home. I drove by, outside is well kept with huge back yard. NIce neighborhood mix of single family and multi family walking distance (1/2 mile) to center of town busing, groceries etc. Rents are $975 and $750. Tells me $750 is because older couple has lived there for 16 plus years and no one raised their rents. $975 has lived there for 10 years but is leaving at end of the month. Agent tells me that $975 apt could use a little cosmetic work but $750 apt is in basically perfect condition and older couple is very nervous about sale. Says both could rent for $975 or more. Also tells me that this and another are the last of an estate and basically beneficiaries want them sold. Said they haven't lowered the price because they would have to go to probate to do that and that's a waste of money. It's "definitely" negotiable. In fact told me about a crazy offer she received for the whole estate a year ago, basically a quarter of the asking price for each property. She didn't go to the executor with the offer because it was insane but she gave me the impression a more realistic cut rate offer just might be accepted. In fact she begin sort of pushing both homes on me. The second home in the same area (haven't swung by it yet) is within a half mile of this one, same situation, walking distance to town etc) Also $165000, rents $750 and $800, we didn't get into great detail on the second property other than rents, location and again just internal cosmetic work, long term tenants also).

So I have several questions...after I see both properties and IF I want to put an offer on one or both what should my offer price be?

 I'm a newbie at numbers so: (I think my percentages may be way off,  I've read so many different things)

Rents: $975+$750=$1725  (potentially $1950+)

Property taxes: 4000/yr  or $333/mo

Insurance: $1000/yr (sound about right?) or$83/mo

Vacancy rate 10% $172.50/mo or 5% $86.25/mo

Repairs: 10% $172.50/mo

Management: 10% $172.50/mo (we will initially manage)

Cap Ex: 10-20% $172.50 - $345/mo (ave 15% $258.75)

So:  $333+$83+$172.50+$172.50+$172.50+$258.75= $1192.25

Mortgage: $150,000 at 5% with 20% ($30,000) down = $644.19/mo (lose $111.44/mo)

$140,000 at 5% with 20% ($28,000) down = $601.24/mo (lose $68.49/mo)

$130,000 at 5% with 20% ($26,000) down = $558.29/mo (breakeven)

$120,000 at 5% with 20% ($24,000) down = $515.35/mo (make $42.40/mo)

So help me correct my numbers please. I think they are way off.

Also, do I have to finance with 20% down?  I can on one but not if interested in both. What am I looking at in total outlay in cash for closing etc.  Also if I have not factored in fixing up the place (or places).

So is this a waste of my time?  Can this (these) properties work)

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y
Karen Yorski You are correct - the numbers do not work. Taxes are a real killer in CT
7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Karen Yorski You are correct - the numbers do not work. Taxes are a real killer in CT
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Karen Yorski

    @Chris Seveney is correct.  You need a significant discount without even seeing the inside.  Seller financing, subject to or some other creative solution.  Its over priced regardless of the market.  I would move on if you can't do some creative way to finance it.  Don't waste your time.  Those taxes are same here in Illinois.

    Good Luck.     

  • Investor · Plainville, CT · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Would it matter that if I got it for say $120,000 that I would have potentially $40,000 in equity?

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karen Yorski:

    Would it matter that if I got it for say $120,000 that I would have potentially $40,000 in equity?

     Karen, as a property manager and landlord myself here in Connecticut, I have found that if you can purchase a duplex in the 100-125k area that doesn't need a ton of work, you can usually do OK with it. I ha e certainly seen this be the case in East Hartford, Windsor, and neighboring areas. The 40k equity sure does make it more intriguing, and I would probably buy it. At that point you could flip it I bet!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Karen Yorski  These numbers do not work very well as others have mentioned. 

    If you need some guidance as you purchase your first multi family I would highly recommend working with an agent that has experience in these types of transactions and has closed multiple of them. Working with an experienced agent as a buyer is a win win for you. 

    You get someone to bounce your ideas, strategy, numbers, etc off of and best of all it doesn't cost you a dime. 

    Overall though I would get pre qualified before you go any further. That will give you an idea of what you will be required to put for a down payment and also give you an idea of what you are working with money wise. 

    You will be required to put 25% down for most non-owner occupied conventionally financed deals here in CT.

    Feel free to reach out anytime. My office is in Plainville and I live in Southington. 

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    No idea why your numbers don't bank in tenant turn over. The fixtures (Refrig, stove, sink, etc...) are likely at the end of their useful life and if someone leaves your going to need to replace them to get market rate rent. 

    If the beneficiaries are out of area right? If so they may not care or totally understand what's going on. They just need a number they can quibble over. 

    I would guess the beneficiaries have it in their head they can get 100k  for this property. As such I would structure the offer to ensure they could get 100k after closing and all fees. That would likely put you in the 110-120 range. Where you would help them appreciate your equity position and the paying for unit turn as there is no existing pool of money for this and taxes are eating your lunch. 

    Good luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.