Need a System for Screening Investment Properties

Need a System for Screening Investment Properties

Haddonfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone,

Would anyone be willing to share the steps that they go through when screening an investment property? Right now, I do a quick 1/2% rule and if still interested I'll use the BiggerPockets calculators to run the numbers. I look to Trulia for the potential rents to fill in the numbers. But I am also looking to see any other tips/tricks that the savvy investor uses as they are evaluating the property (e.g, rate of growth of the area, near metro lines, etc.) 

I'm looking for a consistent system and looking to hear your step by step methods for efficacy and efficiency

Thanks for sharing!

Haney Mallemat 

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Closter, NJ · Member since 2016 · 392 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Good morning @Haney Mallemat

    The way I  screen my properties is a specific rule I have used numerous times here in northern jersey where prices far surpass the ability to use the rules on BiggerPockets. 

    I look for 5% in rental income after expenses and five percent appreciation at the end of the year. The best start is to purchase at at least a 5% discount. 

    Happy investing 

  • Developer · Closter, NJ · Member since 2016 · 392 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Good morning @Haney Mallemat

    The way I  screen my properties is a specific rule I have used numerous times here in northern jersey where prices far surpass the ability to use the rules on BiggerPockets. 

    I look for 5% in rental income after expenses and five percent appreciation at the end of the year. The best start is to purchase at at least a 5% discount. 

    Happy investing 

  • Haddonfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Great tip! Thanks @David Michael

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.