Can an HOA stop me from flipping a purchase i just made?

Can an HOA stop me from flipping a purchase i just made?

Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
Originally was planning on renting a condo I just purchased last month did some minor renovations but the market is really strong and I think I can make a nice profit if I flip.. I put the normal %20 down non FHA loan (traditional conventional loan)... any advice.. I believe I can make a quick 25k opposed to 4-500 cash flow Any advice would be appreciated Thank you
0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 34 votes
8y

Generally no. Since you already have purchased the property. However end of the day you are dealing with people and the HOA bylaws. I'd talk with them and tell them your plans have changed and you are now needing to sell the property. I'd avoid language like flipping and investing. Condo associations tend not to like those words.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Why would you think they can, and why?  It's an unusual question.

  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    I've just been reading that some HOA's have some limitations as far as renting and what not just wanted to be sure it didn't correlate into selling as well.. I've heard similar stories with co-ops.. just wanted to be for certain before If/I decide to list it. I was reading just selling it before a year it's more capital gains and some limitations on writeoffs which is a first I've heard about having less to write off
  • Lansdale, PA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 77 votes
    8y
    Contact the hoa board. Some HOA's will have a limit on the percentage of units that can be rentals.
  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    As far as rentals I knew that coming in but have you heard in any instances they had the power to block a sale
  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Or like a flip rule possibly
  • Joseph ODonovanPro Member
    Property Manager · Ridley, PA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 449 votes
    8y
    @Meti Kay Check your "condo docs". You should have rec'd these prior to settlement. If they have restrictions on flipping and/or renting, it would be written in the bylaws.
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    No.
  • Property Manager · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Generally no. Since you already have purchased the property. However end of the day you are dealing with people and the HOA bylaws. I'd talk with them and tell them your plans have changed and you are now needing to sell the property. I'd avoid language like flipping and investing. Condo associations tend not to like those words.

  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Thank you for the info yes was planning to do something along those lines
  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Phil Weiler but have you ever heard of a case where the bylaws could prevent a sale
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.