Advice for WI newbie considering a new construction 2 or 4family

4 Replies

I'm new to real estate investing and am considering using a turnkey builder for my first duplex or four plex in the Madison WI area.  What are the upsides/downsides to this type of investment? Looking to learn from your experience so I don't tank on my first try! My goal is to hold this/these for cash flow for long term.  

@Susan, congratulations on your new venture.

You indicated that you are new at REI and never done a new construction from ground up... then here are my honest suggestions.

If you plan to proceed with the new construction, then partner up with someone that have already gone through this process a few times (and check his/her record).  

However, it might be too early for you to tackle such complicated tasks like building new structure from ground zero.  I have worked with "green" owners who wanted to build new homes, but have very little experience... at the end they paid dearly during construction.  

@Dennis Vo , thanks for the good advice.  I am learning a considerable amount and am glad I didn't start with a new construction project.  Partnering up with an experienced and reliable pro is absolutely the way to go in any newbie venture.

@Susan Grayson , REI is a fantastic vehicle to financial freedom, but new investors should understand the game a little more before tackling complicated projects.

I wish you do well in REI, and learn as much as you can from small-simple properties before placing a large sum of money on bigger projects.

Best wishes

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here