Looking for someone in my area to shadow on a deal..

Looking for someone in my area to shadow on a deal..

Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 10 votes

Hey guys! 

Any real estate investors in the Hyattsville, Washington DC area that I can pick their brain on obtaining that first property. 

Definitely having paralysis analysis and I feel that once I snag that first deal I will be well on my way ! My ultimate goal is to partner with an investor on a multi-unit deal one day!

REI meetups are cool to network but I want to reach out for help here in the Biggerpocket world too!

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
    8y

    @Cynthia Wright - love the enthusiasm on trying to find ways to get past your paralysis analysis. 

    Think about what you can bring to the table. You very well might find an experienced investor willing to spend the time with you, but think of how you can add value.  Be creative.

    -Can you bring them coffee or buy them lunch?  

    -Could you offer to bring them coffee every morning at their office for two weeks. They show up 30 mins early to walk you through their current deals and you bring the coffee

    Also think of how you can save them time:

    -Could you offer to visit a job site every day for them and take pictures of the progress, and/or send them updates so they don't have to drive out.

    -Could you do their Home Depot or Lowes shopping for them? I know when I start projects I can spend 2-3 hours picking out supplies, fixtures and other items even when I have pick lists already made. If I could give me list to someone and they spend the two hours loading up the cart, then text me when they are done so all I had to do was show up and pay, that would be a big time saver. You would learn what fixtures and materials they are using, you would learn price points of items, and get intimately familiar with your local hardware store, plus learn from them.

    Again, I like you are trying to push past your current hurdle, but find ways to add value. Good luck!

  • Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Thanks Andrew! 

    I definitely don't mind buying lunch (someone's time)  and all the other aforementioned to learn steps and processes to this market. I'm more of a hands-on , visual learner so getting with the right investor who I could assist with projects,  updated pics of properties etc will get me on the right path to purchasing my first deal whether it be through partnership with my future mentor or solo. 

    I definitely appreciate your awesome advice!  

    *SN.. Im from NC too! (Goldsboro) 

    But MD has been my home for over 20yrs. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.