Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Salvatore
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Novice Investor - Can you help me validate this deal?

Antonio Salvatore
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted Nov 30 2017, 10:55

Hey BiggerPockets, I'm a novice investor hoping for your thoughts (validation?) on a potential investment.  For context, I own a couple of condos that generate a decent net profit of ~$375/month each.  Now, I'm making the jump to an 8-fam.  

Here are basic parameters of the deal... 

• Size:  8 residential units (2 bed / 1 bath; 988 sq. feet each)
  • Purchase Price:  ~$66k per door
  • Other notes:  Each unit features a private deck and parking, kitchens are slightly dated but overall these are easy rents in a stable area; building is brick exterior, sturdy, and well-taken care for (seller spent $xx,xxx on a new roof, upkeep, etc. over last several years)

Without getting into too much detail, the P&L provided shows net profit of ~$250/door. However, rents are below market and expenses can be tightened up.  Brought up to market rents and a few tweaks, I'm confident the building (at full occupancy) can realistically net ~$2,500/month plus or minus depending on repairs and maintenance.

What do you think?  The expected per door profit is hovering around $300 which seems a bit low — but perhaps that's just my skewed perspective having experience with single family / condo investments.  

BP, is this a good deal?

Loading replies...