Hey BiggerPockets, I'm a novice investor hoping for your thoughts (validation?) on a potential investment. For context, I own a couple of condos that generate a decent net profit of ~$375/month each. Now, I'm making the jump to an 8-fam.
Here are basic parameters of the deal...
- Location: CT
- Size: 8 residential units (2 bed / 1 bath; 988 sq. feet each)
- Purchase Price: ~$66k per door
- Other notes: Each unit features a private deck and parking, kitchens are slightly dated but overall these are easy rents in a stable area; building is brick exterior, sturdy, and well-taken care for (seller spent $xx,xxx on a new roof, upkeep, etc. over last several years)
Without getting into too much detail, the P&L provided shows net profit of ~$250/door. However, rents are below market and expenses can be tightened up. Brought up to market rents and a few tweaks, I'm confident the building (at full occupancy) can realistically net ~$2,500/month plus or minus depending on repairs and maintenance.
What do you think? The expected per door profit is hovering around $300 which seems a bit low — but perhaps that's just my skewed perspective having experience with single family / condo investments.
BP, is this a good deal?
Not enough info. What rents do you expect? What financing terms are you getting?
Without going into too much detail it really depends on the area, if it is uncommon in the area then yes, if it is easy to find in another property then no.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community
Basic membership is free, forever.