Tax reform - save tax dollars on properties under LLC

Tax reform - save tax dollars on properties under LLC

Real Estate Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 1 vote

Hello All, I own my investment property under my name.

However, with the current version tax reform, it does look like pass through business (like S corp and LLC) with less than $500,000 income will be able to automatically deduct 23% of income. Anyone else read the current tax bill like I do. If yes, It would make a lot of sense to form LLCs and register ownership to LLC. Thoughts and ideas? I am thinking I would do the transfer before year end since the final tax bill may be effective 2018.

Thanks,

Bharath

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ori SklootPro Member
    Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 304 votes
    8y

    Hi Bharath,

    I was thinking the same thing. I have some properties under an LLC and also some properties from early on that are still under my name. At first glance, it appeared to me that it would make sense to move investment property into an LLC to take advantage of the automatic deduction. I then delved in a little further and I think that sole proprietors (individuals), trusts and estates are eligible for the 20% deduction as well. Would love for a CPA to chime in on this.

    Regards,

    Ori

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.