I got a yellow letter! I got a yellow letter?....Why?!

I got a yellow letter! I got a yellow letter?....Why?!

Centennial, CO · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes

The subject says it all.  I got a good laugh about it at first.  Then I wondered why.  Sure I have three huge pine trees in my front yard that drop a lot of needles. Perhaps someone drove by between me raking them and bagging them? Perhaps someone driving for dollars saw the kids' bikes on the front porch? Don't other kids have their bikes out front like this?  Maybe my house got on a list because I have equity?

I thought it would be fun to open this up for us to discuss.  Has anyone else been in a similar situation?  Though it really isn't a big deal.  I'm mostly just curious.  Should I call the number and ask them why they sent the letter?  Cheers

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I get a bunch of yellow letters for my rental properties.  I actually save some of them if I like the marketing to steal their ideas.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I'd call and see if they're a wholesaler and if they have any other deals you can buy.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    I get a bunch of yellow letters for my rental properties.  I actually save some of them if I like the marketing to steal their ideas.

  • Accountant · La Mesa, CA · Member since 2017 · 477 posts · 476 votes
    8y

    I would ask your neighbors if they got one as well.  It could be a new investor who is simply targeting everyone in a geographic area (an expense approach).

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    They probably went with the cheapest bulk mail option...

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @David Brown I sold my personal residence last year at this time.  I represented myself of course.

    I ran ads on MLS, Facebook and Craigslist among other places. It was listed at $499,000.

    I got an unsolicited offer through Craigslist - most likely from a wholesaler, but I'll never know.  It said: "Offer on House. $423,200" and nothing more.

    I responded, "Just curious.  How did you come up with that number?"

    And that was the last I ever heard of him!

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Oh yes. I get them at my residence and my rental. I actually tried to communicate with a couple of the senders, but they have ignored me. 

    My house is the ugliest in the neighborhood. It would be a flipper's dream, except I'm already working on it. Lolol!

    I seem to have gotten a lot more in the last couple  of years for both properties. It just makes me wonder if many more people are trying to get into real estate and they are desperate for leads.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    And some say the market isn't frothy!

    If it makes you feel any better, we were out garage saleing one day and accidentally stopped at a house that wasn't having one.  Oops!  

    I later sent the owner of that rental a postcard, too.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    I get 5 to 10 a week  in my P.O. box . All basically read the same . The only one making real money is the guy selling the list 

  • Contractor · New Iberia, LA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    During my first DM campaign, my mentor held my hand and literally created my list for me using list source.   After sending 3 rounds of post-cards to those owners, I decided to create a new list.  I only targeted homes with equity in them throughout most of my area.  I ended up sending thousands of post-cards including one to my own residence.  It was an expensive and somewhat embarrassing learning experience.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Matthew Paul  who got rich in the California gold rush or the Klondike  it was not the miners it was those selling the pots and pans and of course the saloons  LOL

    I get quite a few of these weekly probably more than 10 as we have props in areas that wholesalers love to buy in. 

    of course we don't hold anything more than 6 months and we don't need wholesalers help to buy or sell.. but I will on occasion give one a call here is the results.

    1. MOST never answer and never call back

    2. if they do answer or call back they are just so green that they have a hard time spitting it out and just kind of read off of a scrip.. feel bad that they are spending their families money when they have no sales or closing skills.

    3. they want to add me to the list.. I wont do that never really seen anything that works.. although many of my clients have their wholesalers and I see them getting paid a few grand on the huds.. in the major wholesale markets.. which are major mid west or upper east coast inner cities.

    4. on the pre foreclosure one's its amazing that so many of them write these flowery letters and more amazing to find out that most of them trying to help these poor people were once themselves broke and losing a house and there fore they are just out to help this poor person who is in foreclosure..  ( REALLY)  LOL

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Somewhere out there is a nice house, in a nice street, in a nice neighborhood, owned free-and-clear by a philanthropist, who has selected one day in the future whereby he/she will, to the first person who asks by letter on that day, that they would like to buy their home, let that person buy their home for a third of what it's worth!

    Will that sender of yellow letters, on that day, be you? Or you?...

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @David Brown give them a call and let them make an offer on your house. Just to see how their process works and what they are willing to offer. It would be interesting to find out how this goes. I have called numbers and yellow letters and not only did they not pick up, they didn't return my call. People in general are horrible at follow through.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I get them and my favorite ones are from unlicensed Brokers that I reported to the state.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.