OKC Investor looking for advice on areas to buy!

13 Replies

Hope that everyone had a great holiday season. Since first posting several months back I have been reading, listening to podcosts/audiobooks, and trying to research the area. I have become really interested in the idea of purchasing a duplex or multi-unit property and "house hacking" it. Ideally a property that requires some work so I can add some value to it as well. I haven't yet reached out to a real estate agent because I am still trying to determine what exactly I am looking for.

Mainly, I don't know OKC that well. I worked there briefly before being moved for work and now I am just returning. There are very few multi-family properties listed online it seems and most are in areas that I am not familiar with. Specifically, it seems theses type of properties are more common in the southern portion of OKC. I am not familiar with this part of town and see that home values vary a lot from block to block... 

These are neighborhoods that seem to me would be good for what I am trying to do if there is a property available in them. (Gatewood, Mesta Park, Hertigage hills east, Lincoln terrace, paseo, crown heights) Any feedback on these areas?

Also any recommendations as far as a good real estate agent who can help me hunt would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

This post has been removed.

I can’t help you with Okc @Joe Miller but have a few items on my site that might interest you. Good luck !

there are some great properties out there but they are fewer and farther between than they used to be.

@Jay Helms Thanks for reaching out Jay! I am definitely going to read through the posts on your site and follow up with any questions I might have! I have been focusing on reading a ton of books on the topic so its nice to read some about it being put to use!

@Rhett Tullis   Do you have any advice for me moving forward?  I want to take the next step and start to evaluate/make the move on a property that can be both my home and a step into real estate investing!

@Joe Miller I would encourage you to do some driving. Immerse yourself in the areas you are considering. Statistics and web reviews can only provide so much information. While analyzing deals online drive the neighborhoods.   

To piggy-back on what @Rocky Griffin said, use the crime statistics on a website like Trulia to help distinguish good and bad neighborhoods. Even call the local police department and ask them what they think of the neighborhood. For example, Lincoln Terrace - which is a neighborhood you mentioned - is a highly desirable neighborhood right now for flips, but immediately to the east of that is a crime and gang ridden area that you would probably want to avoid. I am not from Oklahoma City and when I moved here this summer I bought a 10-speed bike to ride around and look at particular areas I thought I would be interested in. There is no way to tell what a neighborhood is really like by looking at it online, the best way to know an area is to get on foot/bike/car and actually go to that spot. Another tip I have picked up along the way is to always look at a neighborhood at least three times - once in the morning, in the afternoon, and at night. Neighborhoods that seem fine during the day may be a completely different atmosphere at night. 

p.s. I have a 4-plex in a great area in OKC I could send you to look at if you are interested! @Joe Miller

@alex Owens - I’d be interested in information on the 4-plex you have for sale?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here