Strategic or Shortsighted? Would You Sell If You Were Me?

4 Replies

My wife and I have recently begun looking into flipping properties, to the point that I have liquidated two retirement accounts to fund this endeavor. One of my biggest assets towards this end is a two-unit multi that I purchased in late 2014. Here are the particulars:

Purchase Price: 200K
Mortgage Owed: 182K
Probable Sale Price: 230K
Monthly Mortgage Payment: 1,600
Combined Rental Income/Mo: 2,400

Considerations: 

The house will need a new roof within the next two years 
I am living in a different state as the property
The rental market is solid, with Yale, Yale hospitals and a Coast Guard base nearby
I lived in the house from Dec. 2014 - Sept. 2017, allowing us to take a tax-free profit
I do not have enough equity in the house for a HELOC, and probably won't for another year

Am I being shortsighted here? Any sale proceeds would go a long way towards adding a cushion towards our flipping endeavor and/or allowing us to take on a bigger project. 

Also, 1031 is probably out of the question as I may want to use the funds to eventually buy a primary residence for the family. 

There isn't one right answer here. If your ROI on that roughly 40k will be better on the flips than on holding, then you have a good financial reason to sell.

However, it isn't all about finances. It could be that you want to sell to not have a big cap ex looming over your head (pun intended) or because it isn't in your strategic goals. Those are also legit reasons to sell. In business they talk about firing bad clients. This could be a case of firing (not literally, please) a property that is bad for you, good for someone else.

@Amanda G. Yup, all things I have considered. The more I think about it the more that it becomes apparent I want to sell. This was a house hack for my wife and myself, and I never saw myself leaving the state. One job change later and now I see it with a different set of eyes. 

Thanks for the perspective. 

Hey Cosmo,

overall, it is probably a good idea to sell.

1) market is great for selling right now.

2) the property was never really a cashflowing machine, and it doesn't have a ton of equity anyway...and

3) it's in another state (not that this is always a bad thing)....

overall, it might give you an extra $25K or $30K (depends on what kind of repairs it may need) to go towards your flipping or next house down payment.

Good luck with decision!

@Brandon Yeager Thanks for weighing in. Made the decision to list it. My biggest fear is being short sighted but at the same time, a property manager for one property doesn't make sense, and landlording from a distance has always made me uneasy. 

Plus, that extra 25-30K could be a huge boon for us. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here