Does the "2% rule" still exist in non-high-risk neighborhoods?

Does the "2% rule" still exist in non-high-risk neighborhoods?

Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 19 votes

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this forum, pleasure to join. I currently hold 2 properties in California and am looking in the South East and Mid West to expand the portfolio. 

Sorry for the relatively rookie question, but these days I'm having a hard time maintaining a 1% rule, not to mention 2. What kind of cash on cash returns would you consider a rational target? I am currently gravitating to the Nashville sub-county area. 

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I would consider anything that hits the 2% rule or even close to be a very high risk property

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    I would consider anything that hits the 2% rule or even close to be a very high risk property

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Not in Philly
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    you can find it pretty easy in very rural areas were jobs are extremely weak..

    pretty much any sub 30k pop town 1 hour from a major msa in the mid west this can be done.

    issue there is different than high risk inner city crime etc.. its just more houses than peeps and very low incomes lead to very unstable tenant base.. but you can get lucky.. many do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    I say yes but it’ll be a C class property, if you’re okay with that, then it’s doable. I own a C class rental and B class. I prefer B class, all things created equal
  • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    That confirms what I'm seeing. I rather not aim for the 2% at the risk of high vacancy or potential eviction fees. Not worth the long run bottom line. I'm currently aiming for 0.85%-1%. 


    Caleb, can you expand a little on what you refer to as B and C class? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dori Arazi

    All depends on the area and the deal. Definitely possible. 1%ers are getting harder to find. I picked up one this year and hopefully getting another here soon. All in surrounding counties. 

    Marketing and networking can get you at least 1% deals. 2% deals you will have to do a lot of marketing and maybe even get lucky. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.