Cold Calling Tax Delinquent & Pre Forclosures

2 Replies

Cold Calling Question:

Cold calling absent T owners is not a problem but I’m curious to hear what people are saying when calling Tax Delinquent owners, preforeclosure even, D4D but are not vacant? “Although calling and saying hi I’m calling because you can’t seem to pay your bills, does this mean you need to sell your place?” Would be a great way to measure the speed in which someone goes from Hello to cursing at you. =) 

I don't do cold calls, but was wondering why you were looking at calling the tax delinquent owners rather than buying their property at the tax sale.  You'd probably pay a lot less at the tax sale.  Granted, it's a lot cleaner deal if you go through them and, personally, I feel guilty buying an occupied dwelling at a tax sale, but still, plenty of folks do it, so I was just wondering.  I'm going to my first tax sale in a couple of weeks, but plan on focusing on vacant properties and/or land with no structures because I'm a chicken on my first time out.  lol

The goal is to get the house before it gets to that point.  If you find a distressed owner you can work with them.  Maybe I can buy the house via sub2 existing mortgage and only out of pocket is back taxes, maybe I can buy the house at a steep discount etc.  Once the town takes it back for taxes it could be years before they auction it off.  My town alone only does it once every 3 or 4 years so these houses just sit there.  Once they do, now I have to compete with others for the property causing me to pay much more.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.