Trying to decide to refinance my house or wait next year..

Trying to decide to refinance my house or wait next year..

Real Estate Investor · plattsmouth, NE · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 11 votes

I inherited my house from my mom a year ago. I owe $43k on it as for right now. Tax assessed value is $90k but market value $125k(premium shape). I thought this year was last year for HAMP incentive to end, found out today it wasn't. Basically I'll be credited $5k next year and now finding out it's going happen next year in 2019. I am paying my mortgage every month on time but it's in my moms name with 2% interest. I have the title in my name of course. Starting this year it will increase to 3% around in the fall. I heard other scary things the bank can default any time because it's in my mom's name but why would they when the mortgage payment is being paid on time? even after a whole year of her passing.

The house exterior isn't in the best shape at all, 40 years of environment is now showings its taking a toll. I need around $20k in fixing, new siding, drive way, roof, gutters and list goes on. I need to refinance to get those things fixed and prep to move out and rent it. Now I am questioning if the waiting it out till exhaust the HAMP is worth it? it is $5k. Just 10 months of payments credit to my mortgage. Now the FED is going to rising interest rates soon. Now deciding if refinancing now is worth it or hold off till next year? My main goal for next year was to move out and buy a 4 unit using my VA home loan. The estate still ain't closed after a year, other issues. Any help, would be a big thanks.

0Reply
26 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · plattsmouth, NE · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Can anyone help me on this situation?

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Nate S. What are you trying to accomplish with the refinance? Are you looking to sell the home after fixing it up?
  • Real Estate Investor · plattsmouth, NE · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

    Nate S.

    What are you trying to accomplish with the refinance? Are you looking to sell the home after fixing it up?

    I want to fix it up so I can rent it out later on. Thing is the mortgage is in my moms name. Should I wait out and refinance it until the HAMP is exhausted? it will end in 2019.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nate S.:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

    Nate S.

    What are you trying to accomplish with the refinance? Are you looking to sell the home after fixing it up?

    I want to fix it up so I can rent it out later on. Thing is the mortgage is in my moms name. Should I wait out and refinance it until the HAMP is exhausted? it will end in 2019.

    Assuming you are going to use the house as an investment, I suggest you fix up the house before you refinance it. That way when you go to refinance you can get the refinance based on the $125k ARV. If you do it the other way your refinance will be based on a lower value.

  • Real Estate Investor · plattsmouth, NE · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:
    Originally posted by @Nate S.:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

    Nate S.

    What are you trying to accomplish with the refinance? Are you looking to sell the home after fixing it up?

    I want to fix it up so I can rent it out later on. Thing is the mortgage is in my moms name. Should I wait out and refinance it until the HAMP is exhausted? it will end in 2019.

    Assuming you are going to use the house as an investment, I suggest you fix up the house before you refinance it. That way when you go to refinance you can get the refinance based on the $125k ARV. If you do it the other way your refinance will be based on a lower value.

    Only problem I really don't have money for the amount of fixes it seriously needs. I could get some non interest loans from Habitat of Humanity, if they approve it, then wrap up under the loan when I do refinance it. What difference is amount does it make on refinancing it? I don't want max it out 100% when I don't need to.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    8y
    Perhaps you could have a real estate agent appraise it and give you an idea of what to expect if you sold it in its current condition and what you could get if you found a way to make the repairs. It may be worthwhile to just sell it instead of holding onto the house with sentimental value and renting it out. It may be hard for you to see damage to the house from tenants and you are into losing money now paying the monthly mortgage without earning any income from tenants. You could use the money earned from the sale to invest in other properties.
  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    8y
    Nate S. You could speak to an attorney or title company about doing a quite title or deed change so you buy it from your mom for $5 or something like that. Once it's in your name you could apply for a HELOC to be used to renovate the house. You might be able to get a HELOC without transferring title but you'd have to ask a local bank (it's unlikely unless your mom applies for the HELOC). Once renovations are done you could refinance. Good luck.
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    8y

    @Nate S.

    Mortgage terms are different, does yours have a due on sale clause in it? It has nothing to do with your payments being made on time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.