WHAT TO DO!? Should I keep it or Sell it!?

WHAT TO DO!? Should I keep it or Sell it!?

Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes

Hey BP, 

I'm writing because I would really appreciate some advise on a particular situation I currently find myself in.  I'll like to think this is not a unique situation but rather more of a common one investors encounter when buying properties. 

Heres the situation: 

I bought a 2 family home  3 months ago for $200k in NYC. I have the funds to renovate the property but currently waiting for architectural plans to get approved to start work.. My plan is/was to renovate the property for $180k and either:

1.  Sell it for $600k (Make $190k+ after closing cost) & move on to the next. 

2. BRRR it: Take 80-85% of the appraised value & rent it out. The property would cash flow about $1,000.mth net & I would put some

     cash in my pocket from the refi. 

Now the property has been sitting vacant for 3 months as we await for DOB approval & im paying holding cost each month. Today I received an  ALL-CASH offer from another investor for $350k closing next week if I accept. SO.... I can make $130K after closing cost if I accept this offer. $130k in 3 months is nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion, would you agree?

Why am I conflicted? 

  Im a bit tight on cash, because Im stabilizing another property which i finished renovating last month. I have carrying cost for both of these properties and none of them are performing just yet. I have tenants moving into the former mentioned property and I should be cash flowing $3,000/mth once Its rented (should be rented by July 1st). So, I will go from paying 2 mortgages to making money in the next month... However, IN THIS VERY MOMENT , I am  TIGHT ON CASH... and thus the reason why $130k right now sounds enticing! 

Has anyone ever been in this position? if so, what did you do? or what would you suggest is the wisest thing to do? 

Your responses & suggestions are much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jorge P. -  "JP"

0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Manon SheimanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Santa Maria, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 17 votes
8y

@Jorge P.  One figure that has not been mentioned is what your capital gains hit is going to be. Does your state have cap gains tax as well? My state, California, has 9.3% cap gains tax, so in addition to the 20% Fed cap gains, (and 25% depreciation recapture in my case), that would take a huge chunk out of that 130k. 

Too bad you can't do a 1031 exchange. Still, with the cash in hand, do you have an idea of what kind of cash flow you could get from a replacement investment? 

You sound very tempted to keep the property and are in love with it as well. It's not that long before you cash flow $3,000/mo, you say. You feel confident in your ability to renovate the property, and you have the funds to do it. Those are the factors that keep you wanting to hang onto it. 

You have to weigh those factors against all the good advice you've gotten here, and make your decision based on bottom line, not emotions. 

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jorge P.:

    @Randy E. thank you so much for the amazingly helpful advise. You make some very valid point : 

    "don't assume the other person is making a mistake by offering you so much so soon after your purchase. Consider the fact that maybe you made a mistake in your original estimation of how much the property was worth. Maybe the area is appreciating much quicker than you expected."

    Im def gonna take a closer look at the marker &  re- evaluate. I can def afford to keep it and renovate it but I feel the house would not be that great of a rental property & I can get a much better one. This property when renovated will be a 3br over 1br which is not bad... it will cash flow about $1k/mth. However , I have a 3 family I can purchase if I do sell this house that will cash flow $4,000/mth after I renovate it. Selling will def help me take advantage of the better of the two properties. 

    or should I find a creative way to keep both?  what do you think Randy?

    If you can flip a $1K cash flow for a $4K cash flow, I think that is the move to make. My personal feeling (not saying the the smartest REI move) would be to try to do both. However, if that's simply not possible, then yes, sell now and get the property that will cashflow $4K/month.

    Still, do your market research on your current property.  It might be that you should receive $400K instead of $350K.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Take the cash offer and buy rentals in a more landlord friendly state 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 122 posts · 103 votes
    8y

    @Jorge P.

    Sounds like a good problem to have, sir!

    Honestly, it all depends on personality here, but in my opinion:

    Take the current offer and make your quick $130,000.

    How long will your reno take? And who's to say you actually get $600,000 for it?

    You bought it for 200k, you're putting in $180k, after closing costs, commissions, holding costs, etc. How much will you profit? Close to the $130,000 anyway? Not to mention the time spent, stress and headaches that come with managing a project.

    Whatever you decide, it sounds like a good deal, anyway. 

    However, if it were me, I'd do the deal today!

    Hope that helps!

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Van Blackman Thank you so much for weighing in. I would have to agree that selling now vs selling later would be a much wiser choice. If that was my dilemma.. the hard choice I'm debating is BRRR'ing it & keeping it as a cash flowing property or selling it and moving to the next.

    After closely analyzing the property as a hold , I think I can get a much better rental with the funds I get if I sell it. This is where I stand at the moment :-) what do you think? Would you keep it or sell it?

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Mike H. That’s def a very solid option! 100% thank you mike 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I'd sell it and put the money to work elsewhere. It would be a nice gain for a short holding period. Sure capital gains will take a chunk but...

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @John Teachout I hear you , It makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

  • Investor · Nassau, NY · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Would love to know where in NYC you got a 2 family for 200K in a decent neighborhood?  Sounds like you have an appreciation machine of a property. I would keep it for the long term and reap both passive income and the appreciation.  In five years, it could be well over 1 mil.  Everyone that I know that have invested in the NYC, their properties have doubled in value in about 5-6 years. 

    Where I invest, I can't get a decent SFH for less than $480K. It's crazy right now. I vote keep it.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Thomas N. Thank you for the comment! To answer your question. I invest in the outer boroughs of NYC . I was able to pick this one up from a private seller who I tracked down via delinquent  tax liens.

    Keeping the property does align with my goal of purchasing  2,500 cash flowing units in the next 5 years. I dont know that I would have all of them in NYC given how expensive & competitive the market is. 

    You should try going after off market deals in order to get below market prices. Have you been doing that? 

  • Investor · Nassau, NY · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Jorge P. No I have been just buying off the MLS. Would love to learn how to fix off market deals. Thank you!

  • Jason LeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
    8y

    If an investor is eager to pay 350K all-cash off market, I'll bet you can find a retail buyer (or an unsophisticated "investor") to pay even more.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Jason Lee your 100% right. I actually received another cash offer over the week... very interesting 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Jorge Pena did you sell this yet? I should send you a bill for my previous good advice lol.
  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth nope, I’m actually keeping it. But im happy to send you 1099 for the advise 🤓 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Jorge P. if I had an attorney, it would at this point at which I’d tell you they’ll be sending you a bill lol.

    Why are you keeping it?

  • Rental Property Investor · Morris County, NJ · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Jorge Pena why can’t you have your cake and eat it too. I know you need the cash but can’t you partner up with the a contractor and make this benefit you both whether in the long or short term? Just a thought!! I’m sure there is a way to make that work out!!
  • Rental Property Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    I think it depends mostly on your strategy. Are you looking for cash flow and residual income or are you looking for quick cash?
  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth gotcha. 

    I decided to keep it because It’s gets me closer to my goals in terms of cash flowing units :-)

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Christopher Veljkovic I have to agree with you. My intensions were always to keep it but then I hit a temporary cash squeeze which clouded my vision. However, I got over the cash issue & now I can afford to keep the property. Once i BRRR it , I'll be making about $130k net at closing & $1k net per mth on cash flow... not a bad deal in my book, would you agree?

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Jason Bruning great question. 

    My end goal is increasing my residual mth income with cash flowing properties. Because I had hit a temp cash drought, I had considered selling it.

    I’m just thankful I had/have the ability to sell to another investor if I need to, because I bought it at such a good price. They say you make the money when you buy, do you agree?

  • Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    I never say this. Sell it. Yes you can invest a ton of time and effort and get a superb return. With how much you have invested at this point sell. Turn around and reinvest almost all your profit on the nets deal. Otherwise BBBR it. I can only see a few reasons you would actual ever sell.
  • Sewell, NJ · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Jorge Pena My vote would be to sell. But the exact situation that your in could mean 100 different things to 100 different people. Everyone’s needs and wants are different. I’m on my 2nd BRRRR 6 units total and have 5 straight flips that are unrelated to my rentals under my belt. With my experience I would take the money and run and look for my next deal. Even with my systems in place and contractors that I have a (semi-new yet good) relationships with, flipping or rehabbing a project that size is a full time job that comes with plenty of headaches. I say this from my stand point. You may have stronger systems set and better contacts then I. (Smallest Reno budget to date was 45k and largest was 150k) Im also from Jersey. I would love to connect and chat. Best bank I’ve found will only give me 80% LTV over 25 and I’ve been looking for a while. Inbox/request me. Good luck with your decision!
  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Robert Sapienza Thanks for weighing in. Again, I think selling is a great option. This sort of renovation will actually be small compared to the one I just finished rehabbing. The home was built in 1912 & I put in $250k into that one... new plumbing , electrical, foundation water proofing , new roof , etc... The renovation process is the least of my worries.  Your prob correct in your assumption - I do have a 3 decent contractor whom I use on most of my projects. 

    In terms of the LTV I do have a bank that does up to 90%. (Inbox me if you'll like more info on them )

    But you make great points, thank you for that 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 126 votes
    8y
  • Rental Property Investor · Morris County, NJ · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Jorge P. I do agree with you 100%. Glad to hear you were able to stay on top of what it’s sounds to be a great deal!!  Congrats! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.