Alone where I can flip a house without owning another property

Alone where I can flip a house without owning another property

Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 1 vote

I swear this is the last time I will ask a question similar to this.

Here is another way of looking at my situation.

I have had two conventional loans of 30 years each. Because I enjoyed fixing up both houses, and added something like an outdoor shower and a patio etc. I stayed in my first house for 2 1/2 years, and the recent one that I sold four weeks ago I stayed in for a year and a half. Both using conventional 30 year loans...

Why oh why can’t I find a loan that will allow me to do the same thing in LESS than a year? 

I am the least greedy person that I know, and I would be more than willing to give, I don’t know, an extra $5000 to the bank as a bonus when I sell the property in less than a year for them giving me a loan! What bank would not want that?

 If the minimum one-year occupancy concern is only due to the fact that they want interest income for at least a year, then the last four sentences above this paragraph would certainly make them way more profit in interest than if I were to stay there two years! 

Is it just that no such loan exists? I’m 58 years old and in great shape, but I want to speed up my acquisitions and sales at a faster rate so I can accomplish more things, moving forward....

 The only other way I can think of is to try and scrape up enough money for a cheap , six-month rental apartment somewhere and then show a hard money lender that indeed I do live somewhere else so I can then  buy,, fix up, and sell a single-family home...I feel more comfortable dealing with a regular bank though, and,  as it’s July 4, no bank is open, and so  tomorrow I’m going to ask all the major banks that same question and see if it’s possible for them to write a contract to include what I said above. 

Thanks guys for your patience 

Frustrated Ray in Miami

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Ray Egan It's pretty simple....you can get a 30 year loan in one of two ways.

    1) Owner occupied conventional, like you have done in the pat....1 year occupancy required

    2) NON Owner (investment) occupied conventional, requires 20% minimum down, no occupancy required.

    There is NO flexibility in these conventional loans as it is Not the lender's option to modify, it's a Fannie/Freddie requirement.

    HML can not lend on an owner occupied And their payments will be Way more than say a Not Conventional, commercial loan with a Slightly higher payment, 20 verses 30 year amortization and slightly higher interest rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    @Ray Egan I replied in your other thread.  30 year fixed rate investor loans are available, but not appropriate for fix and flipping like you're doing.  You need to be using hard money, construction loans, or a line of credit.  Or, now that you have a successful track record, start chatting up friends and family to find a private lender.  

    You MUST not take out a loan with an occupancy requirement if you do not intend to occupy it.  That may get you a better rate, but its loan fraud.  A defense of "I didn't realize what I was signing" won't fly if you're caught.  You must read the documents before you sign them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.