Selling a Fixer Upper - Advice on best way to find buyer

12 Replies

Hi BP community,

My wife and I just purchased a fixer upper in Marin County, CA. The home needs some significant work which we are excited about, but I am starting to get a little nervous that it is too big of a project for us right now. Therefore, I am considering selling it once we close. It was a probate sale (which took a long time to run through the process) and was not marketed very well. It is also the best school district in Marin County and therefore a very desirable town. For Marin the lot is very large 10,000 square ft so expansion is an option.

My question is: What is the best way to find an investor/developer/buyer to purchase this property. I am talking with my agent and he has a network of other agents which he will shop this around if we do decide to sell. Most of his network is your typical residential buyer. Are there websites I could post on, groups I could reach out to or would it be possible to work with a wholesaler that has a buyer’s database?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle 

Oh goodness, man yes, just go to a local REI meetup out there. That's the best way, find the guys that are out doing it. Social media will get you a zillion calls from wholesalers, claiming to have a huge buyers list (some actually do) and therefore the ability to close.

Actually the place I meet most serious local investors in Houston, my local area, is right here on BP.  So the answer might already be in your inbox.

No seriously, what you hare describing is called a wholetail deal -- something between wholesaling and retailing a house. -- and a lot of serious investors do this.  You could even do a partial rehab -- or just park a dumpster and clean the garbage out of it -- before handing it off to a local flipper.

Originally posted by @Mark Sewell :

Oh goodness, man yes, just go to a local REI meetup out there. That's the best way, find the guys that are out doing it. Social media will get you a zillion calls from wholesalers, claiming to have a huge buyers list (some actually do) and therefore the ability to close.

Actually the place I meet most serious local investors in Houston, my local area, is right here on BP.  So the answer might already be in your inbox.

No seriously, what you hare describing is called a wholetail deal -- something between wholesaling and retailing a house. -- and a lot of serious investors do this.  You could even do a partial rehab -- or just park a dumpster and clean the garbage out of it -- before handing it off to a local flipper.

@Kyle Rosseau

Attend all local investor meetings. Find them on NationalREIA.org and MeetUp.com. Attend local landlord association meetings.

Contact any local HomeVestors franchises you can find. They buy quickly and as-is.

Retail (using agents) and investing are 2 very different business so you must hook up with investor groups if you're going to be investing.

Good luck!

@Kyle Rosseau FACBOOK GROUP CHATS IN YOUR AREA!!!! I swear it's the best form of marketing to find buyers or specific contacts.

You would make a post as if you're selling something or looking for whatever it is. People will start tagging on other people and before you know it you have all your connects just like that. So fast and easy. I wish I would've done it before much earlier when I started.

I rely on that for buyers, new buyers, referrals for contactors, sub-contractors, and more. USE IT!!

Let me know how it goes too!

Hey @Kyle Rosseau , that's a good question! We grow our network by joining FB groups, attending networking events, we also hold our own networking event every 3rd Tuesday of the month, website, and email and social media marketing. Our virtual assistant team helps us market our properties via email and FB. Let me know if you need help

Great advice...thanks so much for the responses.  As of recently the sale has been tied up as one of the owners is trying to protest it through the courts.  This will most likely extend out close date.  

@Alex T.   ll have to try facebook group out.  I would have never thought about that!

@Karen Rittenhouse   Good advice on the meetups...I need to attend some more of those.  I will have to check out homevestors of America.  I haven't heard of them.  

@Mark Sewell  You could be right...I have already heard from a handful of interested folks that live in Marin right here on

@Kevin Klyse I sent you a message.

Originally posted by @Kyle Rosseau :

Great advice...thanks so much for the responses.  As of recently the sale has been tied up as one of the owners is trying to protest it through the courts.  This will most likely extend out close date.  

@Alex T.   ll have to try facebook group out.  I would have never thought about that!

@Karen Rittenhouse   Good advice on the meetups...I need to attend some more of those.  I will have to check out homevestors of America.  I haven't heard of them.  

@Mark Sewell  You could be right...I have already heard from a handful of interested folks that live in Marin right here on

@Kevin Klyse I sent you a message.

Do all that stuff, but there's also no reason NOT to put it in the MLS as well as on the biggerpockets.com marketplace.

I personally wouldn't waste time with random wholesalers since their entire strategy is predicated on taking the seller for a ride, but that's on you.