Selling for a loss, trying to get tax deductions

Selling for a loss, trying to get tax deductions

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

Complete newbie here.   I am considering selling my  primary residence.  I will have a very large loss if I sell (on the order of 30% below purchase price), once you consider the purchase price from 2006 (ouch!), money I put into the place over the years, money that I need to put into it to fix it up, and realtor commission.  I understand that the IRS does not treat one's primary residence as a capital investment, and thus I cannot deduct anything at all if I simply sell the house at a loss.

My other option is to put it up for rent.  I understand that the cost basis will be the value when I convert it to rental, so I still can't deduct the actual loss in price.  However, I am wondering if there is a way to deduct money spent on making it ready for rent and realtor commissions by converting it to rental and then selling it shortly thereafter.   

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could advise on how long it would need to be put up for rent before I could sell it and take advantage of any allowable deductions.  Due to oppressive property taxes (which is why prices in my area will never likely recover), renting is a losing proposition.  But I would consider it if it saved me money by allowing deductions and selling in a relatively short time frame.

Thanks.

would like to sell my primary residence.   

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
    7y

    @Ashish Acharya, this sounds wonderfully complicated. Maybe you could point Howard in a useful direction? Howard, sorry that you are in a hole.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Amanda G., thanks :)

    @Howard L.,

    1) when you convert your PR into rental, your basis will be FMV( as it is Lower than your basis) at the date of conversion.

    2) yes, the work you do after to make it rent ready will be added to the basis of the property and will increase your loss when you sell.

    3) the commission on sale will also increase your loss. When you sell the house. 

    There are multiple court cases on this. IRS looks at your intentions. If your intention was to rent it, but you had to sell it that was not planned , you would get away with selling without renting a house less than a year. 

    But, if you wanted to take advantage of loss, I would recommend selling it after a year. 

    But it also depends on how much tax would you be saving with the sale after a year versus how much money are you going to lose while renting it out. Have you done a math? It should be very clear what your actions should  based on your numbers. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ashish Acharya,  Thank you for the response and good point.

    I guess the rental deduction would be worth less than $7000, since only 25,000 can be deducted against income, assuming an overall 25% tax rate.  That is less than I would expect to lose on the rental expenses alone over a year.  So I guess there is no silver lining, even a little one,  to losing money on a primary residence....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.