What's the best loan for me ?

What's the best loan for me ?

Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes

Hey everyone ! I'm looking to buy a multi family here in NYC , I'm trying to do a house hack where I live free or close to it. My dilemma now is I have people willing to cosign me , but they will not be occupying the property , for all the low down payment options I see the cosigner has to be also occupying the property, if they do not I would have to come up with 20-25% which I can't afford to do . so my question is how would you go about doing this? I have about a 35-40k income my cosigner has a 33k income , and another cosigner I can get if necessary has a 25k income . I have around 50k saved up . How can I make this house hack happen ? 

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Augusta, ME · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 21 votes
7y

@Faysal Alam there are loan programs that will allow you to have a non occupant coborrower. They would need to be on title but do not have to occupy the home. At least one borrower must be a first

Time buyer. Single family home purchase 95%. 2-unit purchase to 85% and 3-4 unit 75% loan to value

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    How long does the co-signer need to live in the property? My guess is at least 1 year if you're applying for an FHA loan. That could be your workaround.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @jaron walling but the problem is the cosigner is unwilling to live in the property 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    What are the numbers for the duplex? Purchase price, down payment, etc. 

    $50k is a big start and buys entire houses in my market. Good job saving that man. 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @jaron walling . most duplex's that are legal 2 families in my area are 450-600k but can go way higher . 450-600k is my price point . 

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    You may to have look into using a hard money/private money lender, instead of getting a traditional mortgage.  Which borough is the property in?

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Lavi Rudnick I'm looking in Queens . So how would u go about doing that ? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Faysal Alam. Do you even qualify with that much of a loan even with the 2 co-signers? That’s not a lot of income. Good job saving

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @caleb heimoth thanks ! I live very frugally ! The got pre-approved via quicken loans for 377k , with a 5% down payment but the thing is my cosigner has to live in the house , so my question is , is there a loan out there where I can do a low down payment for a primary residence for myself but use the income of others to qualify for the loan (co signer, or co signers in necessary) and my current cosigner has a 33k income 

  • Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Maybe offer to let your cosigner live there for a year for free. Give them some solid incentive. 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @austin j. Moving isn't really an option for them .

  • Rental Property Investor · Lanai City, HI · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    Do you have family keeping you in that area? Do you love your job and your location? I'd take your cash and explore a different part of America if you don't have anything holding you back, chances are better than good that you'll find a job making more money and get into a tri or quad instead. Get your quad or triplex and live there for a year, then move back to NYC if family is ther, either way, you'll experience a difference part of the World and gain an asset. GL

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @jared skov yes my mother and father are both here and both don't work I take care of them

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Faysal Alam

    It seems like you won't be able to do FHA unless the co-signer lives in the property.
    You would need to get the 20%-25% down to invest. Investing within NYC isin't easy.

    You may want to consider renting in the area and investing outside of NYC.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @basit Siddiqi where would you recommend investing while living in NYC ? 

  • Lender · Augusta, ME · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Faysal Alam there are loan programs that will allow you to have a non occupant coborrower. They would need to be on title but do not have to occupy the home. At least one borrower must be a first

    Time buyer. Single family home purchase 95%. 2-unit purchase to 85% and 3-4 unit 75% loan to value

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Marc Dube that's the problem because I only want to put down 5% and house hack a 2 unit property . 3/4 unit properties are are and usually over priced 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Faysal Alam

    I would recommend investing in an area outside of NYC that you are familiar with(growing up, going to college, have extended friends/family that you visit).

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @basit saqidi if im being honest I've never really been out of state much , and aren't familiar with areas out of state . But I'm open to areas withing a 2-3 hour driving radius 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.