Dallas TX · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 12 votes
How do you guys secure your flips in progress? I had an AC unit stolen. Ring? add Internet? Alarm system? What's most cost effective? considering i'm in and out in 90-120 days?
Flipper/Rehabber · Davie, FL · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 136 votes
7y
@Rosie Geller let me start of by saying I was in IT including live broadcasting of International tennis tournaments, so I have experience in security and security cameras.
The problem with using security cameras are:
- the resolution at night usually isn’t good enough to make identification unless you buy REALLY good cameras which will cost more then the AC unit you lost.
- even if you get an alert, the response time of police isn’t fast enough and your equipment is long gone. See above point as to why the police won’t catch whoever took the equipment.
If you’re looking to protect expensive equipment like AC units, then you likely have power at the house. Better to put up motion lights even at side of house as that puts a spotlight on the people trying to steel your equipment. Also alarm the house and transfer the monitoring to the new owners when you sell.
Lastly, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE NEIGHBORS! Give them your cellphone number. I’m stressing this as this should be done from the day you buy the property. They are your best source for information. They want you to renovate and sell the house so that you help keep their property values up and give them good neighbors.
I’ve had neighbors give me the lowdown on other neighbors including a house that had a guy arrested for breaking into the local houses. They also alert me of suspicious people/vehicles or if the power went out.
In some cases, I offer to do minor repairs to their house, or at a minimum have my maintenance guy clean their yard or cut their grass for free. It’s a plus for me as curb appeal of your neighbors also affects the value of your property.
Specialist · Salado, TX · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 50 votes
7y
Hi Rosie,
I’ve used wireless trail cameras on my properties for security purposes, with good results.
They immediately send you text or email photos when triggered. They generally have about a 75ft sensing range and can be additionally equipped with external battery and solar charger, so no AC power required. They generally require a cell phone SIM card that runs about $20/mo.
They’re also easy to relocate. Be sure to get one with “black flash” so it’s not visible at night.
Flipper/Rehabber · Davie, FL · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 136 votes
7y
@Rosie Geller let me start of by saying I was in IT including live broadcasting of International tennis tournaments, so I have experience in security and security cameras.
The problem with using security cameras are:
- the resolution at night usually isn’t good enough to make identification unless you buy REALLY good cameras which will cost more then the AC unit you lost.
- even if you get an alert, the response time of police isn’t fast enough and your equipment is long gone. See above point as to why the police won’t catch whoever took the equipment.
If you’re looking to protect expensive equipment like AC units, then you likely have power at the house. Better to put up motion lights even at side of house as that puts a spotlight on the people trying to steel your equipment. Also alarm the house and transfer the monitoring to the new owners when you sell.
Lastly, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE NEIGHBORS! Give them your cellphone number. I’m stressing this as this should be done from the day you buy the property. They are your best source for information. They want you to renovate and sell the house so that you help keep their property values up and give them good neighbors.
I’ve had neighbors give me the lowdown on other neighbors including a house that had a guy arrested for breaking into the local houses. They also alert me of suspicious people/vehicles or if the power went out.
In some cases, I offer to do minor repairs to their house, or at a minimum have my maintenance guy clean their yard or cut their grass for free. It’s a plus for me as curb appeal of your neighbors also affects the value of your property.
Investor · College Park, MD · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 28 votes
7y
I've used trail cameras and put up ADT signs as a deterrent. Amazon Trail Cam. They're motion detected and i got a 12MP with motion activation and infrared pix for $70 on amazon plus a 32g card. DO Signs Deter Bad Guys?
Your best option is to rent a portal video/alarm system that allows for audio sirens and lights that strobe. Also, you can talk to the person on a loud speaker to scare them off. Contact me if you need recommendations