THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO INSPECT BEFORE BUYING A HOME!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO INSPECT BEFORE BUYING A HOME!

Real Estate Coach · Member since 2018 · 245 posts · 216 votes

When buying a home many inspectors that I came across inspect almost everything except camera inspect main sewer lines.  Visually in my area Metro Detroit many of the homes in the market were built back in the 1930's and 50's. So the main sewer lines were made of cast iron and in some cases clay material, which can allow roots to intersect the pipe and cause major problems. 

With that said I bought 4 homes and of course 2 of them needed work on both main sewer lines. It sucks. I rehabbed both units. and literally 1 year later the drains started to back up. on 1 home I was stuck paying 5,200. I would have lowered my offer if I had known there was something wrong with the main sewer line  in the beginning when I bought it.

People are still buying old homes that have wooden pipes. To replace that would probably cost an arm and a leg. 

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

This is good advice. Many cities are starting to offer "sewer insurance" that will cover the cost of replacement. It's well worth looking into if you are buying older homes. I'm in a small town of 9,500 and our city offers it for less than $10 a year. Sewer line replacement could easily cost $10,000 so it's well worth it.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    This is good advice. Many cities are starting to offer "sewer insurance" that will cover the cost of replacement. It's well worth looking into if you are buying older homes. I'm in a small town of 9,500 and our city offers it for less than $10 a year. Sewer line replacement could easily cost $10,000 so it's well worth it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    "Sewer insurance" very I interesting! Thx for sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindale, TX · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Darius Kellar

    I’ve had to replace a few clay pipes. Not fun!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.