Proof of funds when making an offer

Proof of funds when making an offer

Real Estate Investor · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I have received mixed information on this. I am wondering how you guys are writing your cash offers on REO's and shortsales regarding proof of funds. I'm planning on using a combination of hard money and private investors for gap funds. I have these squared away, but I need to know how people are writing the most successful offers, specifically in California, if possible.

I've heard that some people submit a bank account statement from a "proof of funds person" and depending on who you talk to, add them to the contract or they don't but add a "gift letter" with the bank statement. I have a couple people that I can use for proof of funds in a cash offer, but they would likely be not be interested in signing all the paperwork for each offer we submit and/or follow to close. They would also be leery of any risk involved with being on the offer. The plan would be to deed the property over to our corporation at close.

I've also heard that some investors are writing offers with a clause reserving the right to use hard money and that some are simply telling the bank that they are switching to hard money right before escrow (without having the clause in the offer).

I'm looking for some help to clear this up and get some good feedback on what is working for you guys (again, preferably in CA, but open to hear posters from anywhere).

Thanks!

1Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y

Hard money is a loan, not cash. If you want to make cash offers, submit a bank statement from the same person or entity making the offer showing funds to close the deal and a check for 10% of the offer. Otherwise just admit its financed and submit a pre-approval letter with your offer.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 40 votes
    14y

    Hi All!

    Here is what I do when writing offers on bank owned properties using hard money:

    I definitely let the listing agent/seller know that I am using a hard money loan to purchase their property and include a letter from my hard money lender.

    I structure the deal by waiving the financing contingency to show that I am serious about purchasing the property, and that my only contingency is a home inspection. I give myself enough time to do my feasibility which also gives my lender time to evaluate the loan. I have such a good relationship with my hard money lender that I know the only reason they would not finance the property would be if I thought the repairs were too much or there were other issues.

    However, I have noticed that a few REO agents get confused about the lack of a financing contingency and then a hard money lender letter. So to make it super simple I have my hard money lender give me a bank statement showing how much is in their account and then a letter stating they are allocating X amount for X LLC to purchase X property. Usually this works really well. Of course, not every hard money lender is going to do this for you as most have millions in their accounts, but if you explain the situation and they want to do a loan they will do it.

    Hope that helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 40 votes
    14y

    Oops.. I forgot to mention one more thing:

    On my hard money lender letter it states "This is an unconditional approval letter, and is not contingent on appraisal or inspection by Hard Money lender."

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jennifer Beadles:
    Oops.. I forgot to mention one more thing:

    On my hard money lender letter it states "This is an unconditional approval letter, and is not contingent on appraisal or inspection by Hard Money lender."

    Your HML doesn't do appraisals?!?!

  • Rental Property Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 40 votes
    14y

    I knew I would get that question... Yes and No.

    If I am financing in my repairs then yes. If I am buying an REO and paying for my own repairs out of pocket then No.

    I put 20% down based on purchase price, and its 4pts 12% interest for 9 months.

    If I need repairs, then I have to submit a budget, get an appraisal and then I put 20% down based on purchase price + repairs.

    If its a rental that I am buying to hold, then its zero down (but a bank account collateralized as 20% down) w/appraisal.

    Even if we did have to do an appraisal, it wouldn't change the initial terms of my offer. The appraisal does not determine the amount of money we borrow, its more or less making sure the value is there. I have never had an issue based on appraisal.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y

    That makes sense...sounds like a great relationship with your lender, which can certainly make or break someone in this business...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    These are all good pints for investor to look at. The major key factor here is that the OG poster was trying to finance 100%, yet write an offer with all cash. This simply does not work and while the formats explained after by others can work and do, trying to go about this in the manner in which it was originally described is not feasible.

    It is important to point out that a "Cash Offer" is in fact an offer from a buyer who has the actual cash in his/her bank account and shows it via a bank statement. Anything short of that is not an "all cash offer"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.