Thinking about buying a rental property in Houston, TX

Thinking about buying a rental property in Houston, TX

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I’m 27 and I recently moved to Houston from Canada. I’m thinking about buying my first rental property in the Houston area. I’m thinking of a 3-4 bedroom house with 2-3 roommates. I currently have 10 more months left in my lease. Do you recommend waiting until my lease is about to expire to buy the first property?

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Gurpreet Chahal No reason to wait 10 months if you don't mind breaking your lease, which COULD hurt you if you end up leasing again. 

    I would rethink the roommate thing though. Roommates are awful. You'll be a landlord! You'll be in charge! You'll be all grown up! My suggestion would be to buy a duplex or a tri or quad so you have walls and separate doors between you and the tenants. Use an FHA loan so you're in this thing for next to nothing. But one that looks to you like it is basically move in ready. Maybe it needs a new fridge or a stove or some paint. Buy, move in, and LEARN!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl Thank you very much Lucas. There is definitely some financial setback with breaking the lease unless I can find someone to take over right away. However, that’s not something that can’t be done.

    Is FHA the way to go for someone starting out?

  • Jeff LeePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Huffman, TX · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Gurpreet Chahal

    FHA is certainly *a* way, and not a bad one, for getting that first property. The other options (generally...there are certainly others) are the conventional 20% down, a VA loan for US veterans (probably doesn't apply), or a 203K loan, which allows you to move into a non-conforming fixer upper.

    The main thing to remember is REI is a marathon not a sprint. Get started, keep moving forward, but don't feel like it all has to be done in by the end of the FY! Think in terms of years or even decades, not months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.