Would you consider Legal & Accounting as an operating expense?

Would you consider Legal & Accounting as an operating expense?

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am thinking reconsidering this because I will need to pay taxes regardless if I own a property. If you do consider this expense, how much do you allocate per property?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 154 votes
    6y

    Money you spend on a lawyer or accountant in the process of being a landlord and renting a property are deductible operating expenses.

    For a single family house, I don't typically budget separately for those kind of expenses. For a larger multifamily, your main legal expense would be evictions. Accounting cost will depend on how much you do yourself and how complex your finances are.

  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    6y

    @Matthew OConnor

    I am new. Pardon my comments before actually doing the deed.

    I plan on EVERYTHING being a business expence!

    Bigger Pockets fees, app fees, half of my meals, and all the travel fees I can deduct!

    You see, I have no "fund" from which to buy these things we need. They are all an expense!

    I have yet to find my tax people. They are going to have fun with me! I can read! An expense is such!

    Let me know what you do!

    I am driving the economy for the government! There ARE EXPENSES!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.