Lots of For Sale signs...?

Lots of For Sale signs...?

Real Estate Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 9 votes

I am considering submitting an offer on a 3/2 brick ranch in what I consider one of the worst neighborhoods in an otherwise desirable area. It's a very blue collar neighborhood in a zip code that's primarily upper-middle class with good schools. But, there are a lot of FOR SALE signs and at least one FOR SALE OR RENT within a couple blocks from my target property. It has no garage and no basement, is sitting on an oddly shaped, but very large corner lot. It needs both interior and exterior cosmetic work and has a 23-year-old furnace. It's been sitting on the MLS for 320 days; they're asking $94500 and I was thinking about offering $78000. Preliminary projected numbers:

Purchase price: $80,000
Loan amount: $77,200
P&I: $325
Rent: $750
NOI: $4500
New furnace: ~ $5000
New paint: ~ $2000
Cash on cash: 6%

The repairs kill my initial return but this will be my primary residence for at least a year; am curious if this skews the investment potential in a way I'm not considering. Also I'm not sure how accurate my repair cost estimates are. I'm planning to buy and hold.

Do my numbers make sense? I think I'm being pretty conservative on the rents in this scenario by the way. Am curious how much value I could add by building a carport or even a single-car garage if I do the work myself.

Oh and the original point of the post...should I be leery of the numerous For Sale signs?

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Brian! My first thought is that since it's been sitting on the market for almost a year - unless there is some terrific reason you really want this property - Low Ball like crazy. Like $50,000 (obviously I don't know the property - but banks, especially at this time of the year, are in a hurry to get loans off their books. You can always offer more.)

    Since it's a buy-and-hold, you probably don't need to worry too much about the number of for sale signs - except to gain confidence to low ball them. Too many "for rent" signs might be indicative of a problem, but since you want to live there it's probably not a huge deal either.

    I also didn't see Taxes in your analysis. That might add a lot too.

    Anyways, let us know what you decide to do!

  • Real Estate Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Brandon thanks for the reply. The taxes are $1100 a year, I included those as an expense when I calculated my projected NOI. I have personal reasons why I'd like to get this one so I didn't go any lower than 78500 in my offer but I feel pretty good about it. If I get it I'll be pleased but if not that's ok too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.