Anyone purchasing homes to use as vacation rental??

Anyone purchasing homes to use as vacation rental??

Investor · Newcastle, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes

I am looking to purchase a lake house, update, furnish it and then hand it over to a vacation home management company. I have the house identified and the management company lined up for it as well. Anyone here have much experience in this realm? I have 16 units but this will be my first try and a vacation rental property. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Chase Harris!  All of my investments are vacation rentals - though I self-manage, I don't share my revenue with a property management company.  :)  If you've got a local housekeeper and handyman you can count on, and the ability to respond to guest requests in a prompt manner, you don't need a PM.  

    In the right market, the returns are awesome!  My advice is to know your market - KNOW THE LOCAL REGULATIONS, know what kind of demand there is, a realistic sense of occupancy and revenue, and a realistic sense of your expenses.  Make sure after conservative projections you're satisfied with the potential income - it should be significantly more than a LTR.  Sounds like you're already beyond this point, but you should work with a Realtor who is familiar with vacation rentals as investments.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Newcastle, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    That's good info Julie, thank you! I might reach out to you down the road if thats ok. 

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    What kind of advice are you looking for? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.