Would this home be considered residential rather than commercial?

Would this home be considered residential rather than commercial?

Investor · Bath, NY · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 44 votes

I found a home for 170k that is a triplex. It also has a single family home on the property so technically there are four units. However, does it make a difference if the single family is not attached to the triplex? I am trying to figure out if conventional or FHA would work for that property or if a commercial loan would be needed? I plan to call a lender and ask Monday but figured I would reach out here just to see if anyone knows.

Thank you!

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    It should, given the parcel contains 4 units. BUT - where you may run into an issue is with the appraisal. They may find it difficult to find comparables for a triplex + a SFH. Your lender may be able to guide you here, but reach out to a few and see what opinions you get. I'd also reach out to an appraiser and get their opinion on how they would go about valuing it.

  • Investor · Bath, NY · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 44 votes
    6y

    Thank you! I will contact my lender tomorrow and ask about it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.