What is HUD Guidelines 24 CFR 206.125?

What is HUD Guidelines 24 CFR 206.125?

Rental Property Investor · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 5 votes

There is a 3/1 home for sale for a few thousand dollars in my target area. Does this mean I have to pay 95% of the original mortgage held by the lender after the purchase? The home is listed in foreclosure and was recently occupied.
Thanks!

2Reply
48 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Here's some info that may help answer your question:

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/24/206.125

    and

    http://www.myreoagents.com/default.asp.pg-Fannie-Mae-HECM-Offer-Guidelines

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Kyle J. Thank you. So does the article mean that there is more payment due after the sale? (The home is foreclosed on from a reverse mortgage.) Any reply appreciated.

    Kerry

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Kerry M.:
    Kyle J. Thank you. So does the article mean that there is more payment due after the sale? (The home is foreclosed on from a reverse mortgage.) Any reply appreciated.

    Kerry

    I'm not an expert on the matter (maybe someone who is will chime in with more info), but what payment after the sale would you be referring to? It's my understanding that the mortgage would be satisfied upon the sale of the property.

    Here's the actual text of the HUD guideline if you're interested or it help clear up any remaining questions:

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title24-vol2/pdf/CFR-2011-title24-vol2-sec206-125.pdf

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thank you.

  • Plymouth, MA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Hi Kerry, were you able to purchase this property? If so what was the time frame from offer to close and what if any potential roadblocks did you run into?

    I am looking into a similar property that was foreclosed on under this CFR.

    thanks

    Kevin

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Kevin,

    I wish you success. No, I didn't purchase and so don't have help in this area.

    Kerry

  • Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    I found this older thread and I was wondering if anyone has a solid answer to these. There are two properties in my area listed like this right now.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    On reverse mortgages insured by FHA, which is the overwhelming majority, a lender must sell the property for at least 95% of the FHA appraisal in order to be reimbursed in full under their insurance from FHA. These sales, which are short sales, are final...no assumptions of additional debt by the purchaser.

  • Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    I'm resurrecting this thread for some clarification.

    I'm looking at a property subject to these guidelines and I'm told that a Corporate addenda will apply once offer is accepted.

    What exactly does this all mean? Just that they won't go below appraisal price?

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    11y

    I am actually going to see one of these properties hopefully tomorrow here in NJ.

    From what I have gathered  Bnak has taken property back due to original mortgagee having a reverse mortgage and passing away.


    The debt must be paid back to bank that lended the funds. And from what I am reading the price listed is final. no negociations at all.....

    regards,

    Chris

  • Investor · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Hi Chris,

    A fellow Union Farmer!

    I'm looking at one of these properties right now as well, in Middlesex County. Did you get anywhere with the one you looked at? Any additional information on if they take offers below listing price?

    Thanks,

    Helder

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Depends on whether the listing price is the required price (95% of the FHA appraisal) or whether they put some wiggle room in it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Any updates here? Has anybody successfully purchased a HUD property with HUD Guidelines 24 CFR 206.125???? I'm currently trying to figure out a purchase on a property like this.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    10y

    I have.  Generally, the only price that the seller can/will accept is list price.  I've paid less, but it's always been due to lucky timing where a price reduction was about to be posted or the agent processed a price reduction to meet my price.

    In terms of the closing process, it's just like any other purchase.

  • Investor · Ponte Vedra Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cole:

    I have.  Generally, the only price that the seller can/will accept is list price.  I've paid less, but it's always been due to lucky timing where a price reduction was about to be posted or the agent processed a price reduction to meet my price.

    In terms of the closing process, it's just like any other purchase.

    This is a great thread. Thanks to everyone who answered here.

    I have a question though. I understand the offer amount on a property under this guideline has to be 95% of asking price or higher.

    But what about concessions? Can we ask for any amount of cash at closing for repairs?

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    9y

    Can someone tell me if this rule stays with a property forever or if the property never sells the ruling can expire?

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    It applies for at least six months after being offered for sale as a REO.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.