Property Manager trying to sabotage deal

Property Manager trying to sabotage deal

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

My marketing reached an out of town property owner who has 4 multi-family units in my area. Since the owner is out of state he gave me his property managers contact info and asked me to go through the manager. My partner and I reached out to the manager almost daily for about a week and a half before finally getting a response. We set up a walk through of the units only to have the manager cancel about 12 hours before the showing. My partner and I talked to him within a half hour of each other and his story changed to why he couldn't do the walk through so we rescheduled. Today as I called to confirm the appointment, (he wouldn't respond to my partner) it seems like the property manager has many excuses to why we may not be able to get into all of the units tomorrow. Almost positive the property manager (who it has became clear to us is just a local handyman overseeing the properties and not actually a property manager) is trying to sabotage the deal so he can keep milking the property owner. A drive by of properties showed building exteriors are in need of serious work and windows are broken but are all 100% occupied. Anyone ever experience a similar situation and would be kind enough to share some insight on how approach the walk through? I have a feeling this "property manager" is going to do everything in his power to keep us from doing an appropriate walk though.

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Manni  Contact the owner and tell him you've reached out to the property manager and set up meetings.  Both times, he cancelled at the last minute.  You've looked at the outside of the property and while it needs work (take one or two photos and send them to the owner), you are still interested assuming you can get inside to look at the units.

  • Investor · Mesquite, TX · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    I second @Theresa Harris. I would also walk there as if to visit a friend and see who I can talk to like about hey how is it to live here...do you get your calls answered if you call for a problem...etc. You should learn a lot from the residents. Then discreetly get those pics, clear close ups.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.