Juggling S-Corp and LLC Multiple Properties Flip Rent AirBNB

Juggling S-Corp and LLC Multiple Properties Flip Rent AirBNB

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Q: If I want to do multiple fix/flips and own several rentals, Should I have an LLC, and a separate S-Corp, with rentals in LLC, and Fix and Flips in S-Corp?


Am a new REI, and plan to purchase several houses each month, some to be fix/flip projects, some to be wholesales, some to be long term rentals, and some to be short term airBNB rentals.

I have heard that rental income properties should be held in LLC for capital gains reasons, and fix/flips should be held in S-Corp for self employment tax savings.

1) I assume setup a separate S-Corp, and a separate LLC if we want to do many different type of deals?

2) So when we sign the contract for the purchase of the new property, we have to know if we are going to fix/flip or hold long term? If we are going to flip it, then buy it using the S-Corp, and if we want to turn it into a rental, we sign the contract using our LLC?

What happens if we were planning to fix/flip and purchased it using the S-Corp, but we changed our minds and wanted to keep it as a rental? Or vice versa?

Having 2 separate entities just seems confusing, and what's the best way to get the best tax benefits of both when investing in many different types of properties?

3) If we buy properties for rentals, we buy them using the LLC, but if we want to remodel them then we remodel them through a construction company in the S-Corp, is that correct?

0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    You need two different entities- flips and rentals are taxed very differently and keeping them together can cost you a lot of money. 

    You're running two different businesses. 

    If you buy the rental LLC, then decide it's going to be a flip- transfer it to the S corp.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    So if I buy distressed properties which business should I market and have business cards for?

    Ie: should I always give the S-Corp business card until it comes time to purchase home and if it looks more like a long term rental then buy it with the LLC name?

    And are there tax implications for transferring a property between the S-Corp to llc or vice versa? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.