Rent doesnt make mortgage in california, should i sell or hold?

Rent doesnt make mortgage in california, should i sell or hold?

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi, im in San Diego California I have 2 properties one property that rents for $280 less than my mortgage and the other that rents for $800 less than my mortgage. Both have a pmi i could wash away probably in a year. I see in california the equity each year is a good amount PROPERTY 1 gained $23k in equity and property 2 gained about $30k all in 1 year so my question is is it a smart thing to hold and pay the little differences in rent vs. mortgage and bank on the equity 15 years down the road? Or should i wipe my hands clean with them and take a loss of about $30k in closing cost from purchasing about a year ago and get $70k net cash after all is said and done . My family member has become sick and we have to relocate to help them and this is kind of the situation im stuck any experience, recommendation or opinion is greatly appreciated thank you so much.

1Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

San Diego · Member since 2019 · 87 posts · 50 votes
6y

Hi John. The way I see it, you have three options:

1. Find value add. Can you rehab? Add a bedroom, bathroom, or some impressive curb appeal/yard improvements? What can you do to make your house(s) match the high end of the comps in your area? You could force market appreciation that way and then refinance.

2. You could sell the properties. Either pay the taxes on the gains or 1031 exchange into another property (in either of those cases, you'll want to consult a CPA or 1031 professional to discuss strategies). That would be a way to offload these properties entirely and then rid yourself of their burden and/or try to find a more lucrative investment. It's possible here in San Diego! 

3. Do nothing, keep funding the monthly losses, and wait for the natural market appreciation that california is famous for. While I do believe that strategy will EVENTUALLY pay off, you're looking at a solid 5-10 years before those puppies appreciate enough in value to make some money on them- most notably with the inevitable real estate correction in response to our current economic client. This is my least favorite option. 

Good luck and keep us all updated! The data makes us all stronger and wiser!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    So you have a negative $1K/month.  Can you consistently cover that negative?  What about a vacancy or non-payment--who will pay the mortgage and negative cash flow then?

    Next, keep in mind that your 'equity' only exists on paper or actually in the mind of the buyer.  If/when the market turns, which it ALWAYS does, the prices in the mind of any potential buyer will be lower.  What happens to that equity then?  Poof!

    Health is the most important factor in anyone's life; whether it is your own health or that of a loved one.  If you need to take care of them, go ahead and do what you must to make that happen.

    I know when you do the right thing, things always seem to work themselves out.

    Best of luck to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I personally don't think that you should have to pay monthly to have an investment property. If you lost your ability to float the additional expenses of your investment properties, what would your backup plan be? 

    I would go ahead and sell both, take the 70k net and re-invest into a lower cost of living area where positive cashflow actually exists. Plus, there can be some tax advantages to loosing money in real estate. Obviously that's not ever the goal, but it helps take away some of the sting. 

    I would sell both now while the market is still hot, because if the real estate market dips you'll be out even more than your monthly holding costs. 

  • San Diego · Member since 2019 · 87 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Hi John. The way I see it, you have three options:

    1. Find value add. Can you rehab? Add a bedroom, bathroom, or some impressive curb appeal/yard improvements? What can you do to make your house(s) match the high end of the comps in your area? You could force market appreciation that way and then refinance.

    2. You could sell the properties. Either pay the taxes on the gains or 1031 exchange into another property (in either of those cases, you'll want to consult a CPA or 1031 professional to discuss strategies). That would be a way to offload these properties entirely and then rid yourself of their burden and/or try to find a more lucrative investment. It's possible here in San Diego! 

    3. Do nothing, keep funding the monthly losses, and wait for the natural market appreciation that california is famous for. While I do believe that strategy will EVENTUALLY pay off, you're looking at a solid 5-10 years before those puppies appreciate enough in value to make some money on them- most notably with the inevitable real estate correction in response to our current economic client. This is my least favorite option. 

    Good luck and keep us all updated! The data makes us all stronger and wiser!

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    -$1,000 a month is painful. Some will say hold don't worry real estate always goes up. Yes but you need to factor in holding cost and the time. You also need to factor in the emotional capital you are spending watching -$1,000 leave your real life bank account each month. This is real money leaving your life. Take all the advice from everyone and decide whats best for yourself. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 308 posts · 173 votes
    6y

    @John Simerson

    @Joshua J Cawthorn made some great points up there. 

    Question: In what city/neighborhood are your properties located? San Diego buy and hold investments are about value adds and long term appreciation.

    Depending on how dire your situation is, you'll have to decide whether you need to sell or not. If you're considering a 1031 exchange I have an accommodator I can refer to you.  

    If you decide you need to sell, here's one positive take away: This is a great market to be a seller w/ inventory as low as it is across the county + the low interest rates. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    Hi @John Simerson

    Are you already paying a property management company to manage your properties? Will that change when you relocate?

    If it were only $200 a month I would probably recommend waiting it out. In this market, rents wouldn't take long to catch up. $1000 a month is pretty steep. 

    Do you own other properties out of state?

    Also, have you considered refinancing to lower your monthly payment and increase cash flow?




  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @John Simerson Sorry to hear about your family's situation...I wish you luck with that. As far as the homes that is quite a negative amount but you purchased them with low money down option and since you are saying PMI it sounds like they are conventional options unless you meant MIP which is for fha loans.

    Some questions/thoughts to consider

    1) How much is your mortgage insurance and how much will it help you in a year once you get rid or mortgage insurance and hopefully raise rent as well.

    2) What part of San Diego is it in? It makes a difference, are you $1,000/Month negative cashflow in lakeside or a few block from the beach in PB?

    3) Can you sustain the negative amounts? if so, how long?

    4) The market for single family homes has been insane however, so its definitely not a horrible time to sell.  A lot of buyers out there right now and not many sellers.

    Best of luck with the family

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    1 of my properties is in 92108 the one that will cost be a difference of $280 and the other is in 92120 which is the difference of $800. Again of them have potential for lower mortgage if i can knock off the pmi but my quesation is is breaking even not including potential expenses worth it? reason we have left both properties we bought both to be our home the 92108 condo our neighbor began firing rounds in homes during covid so we decided to leave we then purchased our 92120 home but now have to relovate to take care of a family memebr with a health issue. 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @John Simerson

    If you have large enough cash reserve you can keep them. The next 12 month maybe a bumpy road ahead , I will raise my reserve to weather the storm. 

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    most want rentals for cashflow.....if thats what you desire i would sell when you can and then come invest in the midwest.....for the cashflow

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. That definitely adds a layer of stress to the decision making process. I think the first thing you need to determine is how long you can absorb the cash flow deficit and maintain adequate reserves. You only mentioned the difference between the rent and mortgage, so keep in mind that any other expenses/vacancies will require additional cash, and potentially a lot of it. If the answer to that question is that you can hold indefinitely, I'd recommend using a metric like IRR to take the emotion out of your decision and look at what you forecast your ROI to be if you exit after 10 or 15 years. If that number is high enough to justify the investment, you hold. If not, you don't. Use conservative assumptions and see what it looks like in different scenarios, with different value adds, etc.

    If you're not able to hold the property indefinitely, I'd recommend selling now. As some people have mentioned, it's not an awful time to sell. It may very well get worse before it gets better, so the worst case scenario could be that you run out of cash in a year or two and get forced to sell into a worse market than the one we're in today.

  • Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @John Simerson what will your cash flow look like after your PMI is gone? I don't know much about the specific area, but San Diego has the potential for some serious appreciation. I would be tempted to hold onto them if you can. It's also going to depend on your strategy. If you are looking to scale quickly or make money now on your real estate, you should probably sell. If you are doing real estate investing on the side with enough cash coming in to take the hit and enough in reserves, it could make sense for a buy and hold investor. California appreciation is pretty unique!

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    @John Cicilioni You are assuming that the values are going to continue to rise if you hold the real estate.  Prior to 2008 many investors were buying properties assuming the values would continue to go up on nonperforming properties. As you know, many people ended up in foreclosure. The banks are using 2008 as a template on how to handle the lending landscape of today. I recommend you work from the lending institutions worst-case scenario. Currently, banks are kicking the can down the road on foreclosures. Once we have a gluttony of foreclosures on the market, the value on your property has a probability of going down, unless your end game is to hold the property for another 5 or more years. As an investor sometimes you take what you can and( do not look back) move on to the next project.  In my opinion, the market is hot right now so I would take advantage of you being able to sell the property. 

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    @John Simerson

    Possible Solution:

    Refi the property with the 200 neg cash flow and get rid of that pmi. That will clear the property of a negative cash flow.

    Sell the second. 800x12=9600

    Plus improvement, rent loss, etc. Or refi to bring the cost down to break even.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @D Turner:

    @John Simerson

    Possible Solution:

    Refi the property with the 200 neg cash flow and get rid of that pmi. That will clear the property of a negative cash flow.

    T

    Sell the second. 800x12=9600

    Plus improvement, rent loss, etc. Or refi to bring the cost down to break even.

    Thats what me and my wife decided on this morning, keeping our small condo and selling the larger home as our value has went up a bit in the past couple days hoping to come close to breaking even. cut our loses and move on. As for san diego has anyone purchased a property in a decent neighborhood for $100k? San diego feels so tough to amke numbers work but id hope our next home i can get below retail and build it into our home to be home any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated

  • Investor · Prescott/Tempe, AZ · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @John Simerson I would hold for a year and see if they could cash flow after refinancing. Especially if you haven’t held the property for at least two years because you wouldn’t want to sell without getting capital Gains.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.