Need advice on mortgage lenders for purchasing a house

Need advice on mortgage lenders for purchasing a house

Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 13 votes
I could use some advice and feedback on a few mortgage lenders, and servicers. I am shopping for a conventional conforming 30 year fixed mortgage for a primary residence. Fico's over 740, no debts currently. Doing a joint application. Trying to get a loan for 250-300K. We have to put 50 percent down just to be able to afford to get into a house near the Seattle area. We are looking in the 600-650k range total. I have spent much time trying to research lenders and the process. What we want is someone who is honest about accurately disclosing the fees and the loan process, is competent, that can work with us and communicate through the whole process. I have no patience for incompetent and dishonest loan agents and processes where they keep asking for you to submit the same documents repeatedly, and the fees are different than quoted, and then you get bounced from one agent to another, or they are not responsive to communications. We previously had a Union bank loan. They serviced the loan also. They get bad reviews but their servicing never messed up our tax or insurance payments, or anything else. We could always call and get answers for questions we had when we sold our house. Cant get ahold of them now with the covid situation though. We had previously applied at Movement mortgage, and the document uploading process was pretty smooth. Never bought or closed with them so I can't say how that would go. I know they don't service their own loans and immediately resell them. We are talking to someone at Guild mortgage. Looks like they do in house local processing, underwriting, and service conforming loans for life of loan. They are said to close in their own name with their own funds. I don't know how functional their servicing department is. I have heard they still sometimes sell loans right off which is contradictive to their claims. Some of the info we were given seems odd. They quoted a subsidized or concession loan interest rate of: 2.625% no points no origination fee. Just a standard flat fee of $1600 for processing and underwriting. Plus $750 appraisal. Title and escrow is based on the purchase price. Agent gets fees on back end from secondary market. Said they can't tell us accurately the fees until we apply which looks like it will cost $1600 to do. But we are not clear what it will cost to do an application and get a pre approval letter. Hard to get ahold of them now. When I do research on Guild I find: Average origination fee charges include $350 for underwriting, $295 for administration, $275 for document preparation and a $500 processing fee. All told, that’s $1,420 in total lender fees. So it appears the agent is saying there is no origination fee, but their standard fee appears to be an origination fee he just isn't calling it that. A realtor we know recommended Umpqua bank. I don't see much good about them and their loan agent seemed to be not real clear either. We have relationships with BECU, BOFA, and Chase, none of which get very good reviews for mortgages. I don't think we want to do a mortgage with them but I am not sure. So currently considering: Guild, Movement, NBKC, Academy, Baker Boyer bank, and Banner bank. Don't want to have to get a bank account there to do business though. We are pretty happy with Chase for that, BOFA not as much. Prefer a direct lender, or mortgage banker that services their own loans. Not looking for a mortgage broker. Also, do not want to end up with our loan or servicing at Dovenmuehle (DMI) Yourmortgageonline.com. I know there are a lot of people and businesses here that deal with lenders, so I thought I would ask the question here, and see if people have any relationships or referrals for mortgage loan officers and could shed some light on the subject? Thanks.
0Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2015 · 457 posts · 386 votes
    6y

    @Jake M. just curious about your stance on not utilizing mortgage brokers?  I have worked with few different banks and mortgage brokers to secure loans and I have consistently done better on rate/terms via a mortgage broker.  I am more than happy to pass on contacts of both if you would like to reach out to them.

    With regards to the loans originated by brokers, they generally get sold within 30-90 days.  While it is a slight hassle to setup the new online payment, I have found the lower rates more than make up for it.  With regards to the fees to originate the loan, I don't spend an excessive amount of time worrying about those so long as they are a small part of the cost.  If I get an excellent rate and the broker who secured it for me makes an extra $300-$500 on the origination, I will be more than happy to pay them.  Long term, that cost will be a very small compared to the savings a really good rate will provide me.

    Best of luck,

    John

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Hi John, Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem if a broker or loan agent is making a reasonable commission, but they can charge up to 3% of the loan amount in fees and points, that is $9000 on a 300k loan, which is much more than $3-500 on an origination fee. I guess if they save you more than $9000 on a loan the fee would be offset. I am aware brokers deal with the wholesale market. It just adds another layer of complication, what is the borrower paid compensation vs lender paid compensation. I am aware loans typically get sold to FM or FM but I was trying to avoid dealing with a bad service company.
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    6y

    Jake - thanks for the post 

    fyi - Movement Mortgage is now servicing their conforming fixed rate loans 

    fyi - when  getting a loan  estimate or  loan cost worksheet  when  there isnt a property involved  yet- there will be  q number of  estimated  figures  included  ( title / escrow / tax/ ins amounts  will all be  estimates  

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Hi Dave Skow, Thanks for the info, I didn't know Movement was servicing their conforming fixed rate loans. That is interesting. Are you a loan officer? What do think about Guild and Movement as far as their process and servicing?
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    6y

    Jake - yes ...I have worked for both ....Movement currently ....the  processing and servicing  are  above  average 

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    I would like to know the difference between how functional and reliable servicing is compared between Movement, Guild, Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc, Paramount Residential Mortgage Group.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.