Put in an offer for 153k with an escalation clause to 167k and it was escalated to 166k how can I check the legitimacy of the offer that caused the escalation?
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
If a buyer put an escalation clause in the offer could the seller then counter at the top of the escalation clause whether someone else bid up to that or not?
Sure, the buyer's tipped his hand already which is another reason why I don't like an escalation clause. You're letting the seller write the buyer's offer.
Welcome and congratulations on your offer being accepted!
Generally when I do an escalation clause it states that the competing offer must be presented. HOWEVER. When I am the listing agent, I generally just counter the offer with a number as opposed to use it so that I don't have to present anything. Basically an offer is presented for 153 up to 167 with escalation. If I was the selling agent I may just counteroffer at 167 (or whatever I think it could appraise for).
I understand escalation clauses, but think they're useless. Seller could always get his buddy to write an offer at $1 less than your limit.
Just put your best (aka walkaway) number in up front. Otherwise, if a seller gets 15 offers, all with escalations, where does it end?
Escalations protect the buyer. Try operating in markets without them where you have to bid blind. Just sold a house in Massachusetts where they do not use them. Best offer was $650k. 2nd best was $615k. The buyer paid $30k more than they needed to if they simply used escalation clauses there.
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
"Best offer was $650k. 2nd best was $615k. The buyer paid $30k more than they needed to if they simply used escalation clauses there. "
Again, the buyer offers $620K with an escalation clause. Seller's buddy offers $649K in good faith, now that seller knows the escalation clause is good up to $650K.
What's the difference?
Leaving open-ended offers as a buyer makes me nervous. Every offer should have a price certain and an expiration date,
Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
6y
@Ethan Antwain Reynolds ask for proof of the other offer(s). Often times this will be given without pertinent or personal info (sans other buyers' names for example). This was you know it's legit....but unfortunately can be faked if someone really wanted to.
Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
I operate in MA and use Escalation Clauses when the time is right. Not all agents/sellers accept them and that's their choice but can be a very good tool if you know how to exercise it properly. Be aware to use "Subject to full review of competing offer".
"Best offer was $650k. 2nd best was $615k. The buyer paid $30k more than they needed to if they simply used escalation clauses there. "
Again, the buyer offers $620K with an escalation clause. Seller's buddy offers $649K in good faith, now that seller knows the escalation clause is good up to $650K.
What's the difference?
Leaving open-ended offers as a buyer makes me nervous. Every offer should have a price certain and an expiration date,
The difference is it simply doesnt really happen. Ive been doing this 17 years, been involved in hundreds of transactions, 1000s of offers, and Ive seen a fake offer once. Agents simply dont risk going to jail to make an extra fifty bucks.
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
If a buyer put an escalation clause in the offer could the seller then counter at the top of the escalation clause whether someone else bid up to that or not?
1) The poster sounds like he had his escalation clause bumped suspiciously close to the max number and wants to know if it's fake and
2) Anyone can write a good faith offer at below the escalation limit to bump it and
3) If you have more than one buyer and only one seller, you get bidding wars. It's as legitimate as the buyer asking how much to accept my offer and a seller saying a price 20% more than offer #2. Heck, I hear obnoxious resi guys advertising all the time how they got an offer at 20% above list (which tells me they made the list too low).
Again, I think escalation clauses are too open-ended. If a seller knows he's got an in demand property (as evidenced by multiple offers), why can't he counter the highest one at an even higher price?
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
If a buyer put an escalation clause in the offer could the seller then counter at the top of the escalation clause whether someone else bid up to that or not?
Sure, the buyer's tipped his hand already which is another reason why I don't like an escalation clause. You're letting the seller write the buyer's offer.
3) 162K Conventional with inspection and escalation clause up to 170K
There is nothing wrong with countering the 162K with escalation clause at a number you feel compensates for the conventional and inspection. The price is one piece of the puzzle. You may counter the Cash offer. An escalation clause has let the seller know there is room and they want this deal to come together.
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
"There is nothing wrong with countering the 162K with escalation clause at a number you feel compensates for the conventional and inspection. "
This is just a counter with a seller being tipped off by the escalation clause amount. Why wouldn't he counter at max? The seller's goal (at least in OR) is to get the max price.
This is just a counter with a seller being tipped off by the escalation clause amount. Why wouldn't he counter at max? The seller's goal (at least in OR) is to get the max price.
I may suggest that or I may not. Depends on the situation. Around here max price may or may not be the goal. Sometimes the terms make it better for the seller. He may go with the cash offer because he knows there is no bank involved. May take less because there is no inspection. I've submitted a few, depends who the other agent is :)
This is just a counter with a seller being tipped off by the escalation clause amount. Why wouldn't he counter at max? The seller's goal (at least in OR) is to get the max price.
I may suggest that or I may not. Depends on the situation. Around here max price may or may not be the goal. Sometimes the terms make it better for the seller. He may go with the cash offer because he knows there is no bank involved. May take less because there is no inspection. I've submitted a few, depends who the other agent is :)
In my market if you counter at the max as opposed to enacting the escalation clause, we just reject the counter, and in most cases people are so angry, they just walk away. 99% of the time here countering at the max escalation will lose the buyer entirely in ny market.
I have ROFR on property that was once part of my larger property. Owner died, now the nephew/executor has presented a questionable sales contract for 30% above comps, I believe to twist my hand. How can I determine if it's legit? There are no realtors listed, property AS IS.