Buying one of my mom’s properties

Buying one of my mom’s properties

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I’m looking into purchasing one of moms properties that has been a rental for 11 years and making it my first rental property. She owes about 70k on it and she’s graciously offered to sell it to me for the remaking balance, though I’d like to make sure she can get 30k in her pocket. Houses in in the area (Eastern WA) go for 300k-350k.

What I’m trying to figure out is:

1. I would like to make major improvements on the house that I’m thinking would be around 100k. What would be the advantages or disadvantages of applying for a 200k mortgage, paying my mom and then taking out a 100k personal loan from her to complete the improvements? 

2. Would it be better to apply for a 70k mortgage and then take a 130k line of credit on the house and roll that amount into a refinanced mortgage? 

I like the first option because there are less steps but I have a feeling she may run into a capital gains tax somewhere. That also could be the case for the second option, but I’m not sure and I’d like to minimize any taxes. 

Is there another option I may want to consider?

Thanks in advance! 


0Reply
25 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Marcos, TX · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    That all sounds pretty complicated. I would just buy it from her for the remaining balance and if the property has equity which it sounds like it does. refi it and it is a nontaxable event and pay her the 30k then. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks @cameron whitehead. As I'm researching it more I'm thinking along the same lines as you since it would be clean and easy. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Cy Delgado

    Clean and easy isin't always the best approach.

    Problem #1 = giving her $30,000 now for the property or $30,000 later just because makes a difference on basis.

    Problem #2 = your mother will need to report the gain/loss when she files her return. The IRS understands that sales between family members can not be at "arms-length". If the sale results in a loss for your mother(because of the low purchase price), The IRS will disallow the loss.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.