Do I need to test my house for Radon during Inspection?

Do I need to test my house for Radon during Inspection?

New to Real Estate · Woodbridge VA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 16 votes

Hello All,

I am having my house inspected soon because I would like to know the weak spots in my house before I start on renovation projects. 

I got a decent quote from the house inspector that will be doing the inspection, but he asked me if I wanted to also have the inspection include Radon testing for an additional fee. 

What would Bigger Pockets investors recommend? Is it worth it? Essential?

Thanks!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Fairfield County, CT · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 9 votes
6y

Hey Miguel,

Yes, I would recommend testing for Radon. Do the short-term test which takes about 48 hours. You'll have to leave it alone (don't open doors/windows while it's going) so it gets an accurate reading. 

If it comes back positive, there are many companies that do radon mitigation and it's a very common thing. Not to be alarmist, radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the US. However, it can easily be remediated and dealt with.

In short, highly recommend you get it tested. Very much worth the investment. 

Kevin

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Fairfield County, CT · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hey Miguel,

    Yes, I would recommend testing for Radon. Do the short-term test which takes about 48 hours. You'll have to leave it alone (don't open doors/windows while it's going) so it gets an accurate reading. 

    If it comes back positive, there are many companies that do radon mitigation and it's a very common thing. Not to be alarmist, radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the US. However, it can easily be remediated and dealt with.

    In short, highly recommend you get it tested. Very much worth the investment. 

    Kevin

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I think it'd be something worth knowing and isn't that expensive.  They basically leave a measuring box in the lowest part of the house for a couple of days.

    If it's a high number, you would want to address it with ventilation or some sort of ground barrier.

    If it's really high (most likely not) then you need to contact someone since it'll directly affect your health and marketability of the house.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Miguel Rodas I am a licensed home inspector in the state of Ohio. When I was first starting out I was talking to an agent and REI on whether or not I should get certified in doing radon inspections. His response was "Absolutely! If I am doing my job correctly in selling someone a new home I will always suggest a radon test to my clients."  That was pretty much all I needed to know. However, once I started reading and understanding the science as I was getting my certification I understood what he meant. Depending on where you are buying geographically it is a genuine concern for safety. Radon is the number two cause of lung cancer in the world. Among non-smokers in the world it is the number one cause of lung cancer. That radon test might be the difference in keeping you, your family, or whoever is living in that house safe....and if nothing else you pay a little bit of money to have the peace of mind in knowing your house is at a safe level of radon emission.

  • New to Real Estate · Woodbridge VA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Nathan McIntire Hi Nathan! thanks for the response! Are the radon tests not something that a homeowner can check for themselves? Are the treatments for radon issues an easy fix?

  • New to Real Estate · Woodbridge VA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Bennett Hi Kevin! thanks for the response! Are the radon tests not something that a homeowner can check for themselves? Are the treatments for radon issues an easy fix?

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    There are testing kits available to the general public. I believe in most cases those need to be sent to a lab of some sort.  A home inspector is typically going to use A testing device that is regularly calibrated and in many cases inspectors will use a Second test of a different type at the same time as a crosscheck or law of averages. If a homeowner is going to do a test themselves they need to get a very good understanding of the necessary testing conditions and get a pretty good understanding of radon testing in the home itself. There’s a lot to understand. For instance radon levels will be different at different times of year, where the testing kit is placed and why, as well as the necessity of Minimizing or keeping a closed door policy during the testing and prior to.

    As far as remediation goes, I guess putting in a radon system is not necessarily hard if you have the tools and are equipped to do a project like that. I have been in and around construction for 25 years, so I wouldn’t be uncomfortable doing my own system. However, the most important thing to know is the municipality that you are in and what they will require. Does the area that you live in except passive radon systems or does it need to be an active system? This is something you will need to know if you were doing the work yourself. Licensed radon remediation companies will know this and be liable for their work in that area. This is something that is typically overseen now by building departments in each county for very good reason. Radon is not something to take lightly. Happy to give any other insight if you need it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.