Denver or Salt Lake City for House Hack

Denver or Salt Lake City for House Hack

Investor · NH · Member since 2020 · 175 posts · 75 votes

Who has house hacked in Denver or SLC? I'm thinking about moving to one of these two cities once I am out of school in early 2022. I know a lot can change in the span of a year, but I'd love to hear people's experiences and thoughts!

Any thoughts on the markets or life in general in these two would be appreciated. I'm looking for a house hack that once I am done living in it I can still rent it out with cash flow being my priority. If it is any help, some of my main criteria are: bikeability/walkability and safety.

Thanks!

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Minneapolis MN · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    I know nothing about Denver, but I'm a Realtor in SLC. 

    Market is crazy competitive. Multiple offers as far as the eye can see. Thousands of out of state people are moving here for tech industry, ski life, low taxes, (hideous smog), and the local population has very large families. We have way more people looking for housing than we have available

    House hack, why not? I do it. Tends to be hard to find anything that'll cash flow from the get go. Prices are rising, as are rents. Why not get someone else to contribute to your equity? The hope (gamble) is by the time you leave, market rents will have risen to the point where the property will cash flow.

    Life in general here is awesome (apart from the hideous smog and embarrassing schools). I've worked in the ski industry in France, Italy, New Zealand, Canada and the USA. I live here on a green card for a reason. If you're into the outdoors it's hard to beat.

    Biking for commuting or biking for pleasure? SLC has incredible mountain biking right on your doorstep. Lots of road bikers head up and down the many canyons in the summer months. For commuting...well, drivers are atrocious, and the cycle lanes just randomly stop after several blocks of protection. I'm an avid cyclist, there are improvements being made, but compared to most cities I've lived, it still sucks, especially once you're outside of SLC proper.

    Hope that helps.

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    5y

    It depends on what you are looking for SLC is doing great and it's landlocked.

    It's also doing relatively good right now. If it doesn't matter I would go for that...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.