ALOHA! Big island real-estate

ALOHA! Big island real-estate

Member since 2021 · 30 posts · 15 votes

My name in Dillan Stoor And I have somewhat successfully started my real estate investment business in southern Utah. Business is booming here as I work in remodels and repairs while supplementing my investment properties. I have previously resided on the big island in Hawaii and on Oahu and would like to increase my portfolio on the big Island. I am somewhat familiar with the area but I’m blind as far as the market analysis goes and insider info. Looking for people that are on the island or investors that would like to go in on some buy-and-hold multi family and possibly vacation rental properties.I am extremely talented in fixes and flips as that is the nature of my business and plan to provide much of my on labor from my business which I would move to Hawaii during my time of acquisition.

I plan to visit the area in March and hopefully I can acquire a property to move out there shortly after as my wife is expecting at the end of the summer.

2Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Keaau, HI · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 33 votes
5y

@Dillan Stoor I reside here in Puna (HPP, Keaau). I Just purchased 2 SFR rentals here last year. I Also own an SFR rental in Orem, UT, which is where I moved from 6 years ago. I don't have much REI experience and have even less experience with rehab. I am currently looking for land deals to develop or rehab deals to BRRRR or flip here in Puna. I do know the area pretty well so if you have any questions about it let me know.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    When is the next zoom meeting?

    Folks if you want to invest in STR in Hawaiian county you have to consult a professional, especially if you don't live there as your primary residence. The time to get approval between a condo in a resort zone and a residential zone is also vastly different. What I meant by professional is not just the realtor but also the company that takes care of your permit. The permit duration for difficult situations could take more than 7 months sometimes. You also could not Airbnb your backyard ADU even if you live there. There were just so many exotic Airbnb before that I think would be gone after the new regulation (in Honokaa, Hilo, Kau,etc)

    I think the new regulation is good because it makes local people happier, especially in Hilo side.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Victor Sine:

    If it ends up not bnbing I don’t mind since it’s so cheap


    Unless you really live there, be careful, there're reasons why few areas is cheap, so join the big island FB group. 
    The safest investment could be the condo.

    My primary thesis to purchase is for retirement and WFH/remote working status. But now the Airbnb is fully booked I can't even go there anymore. Good problem to have LOL 

    There's a third choice which is a tiny home, buy land somewhere in Kau and lock everything up, I don't mind. There's few company that could offer this interesting solution, since this is not home the regulation is a bit different, it's just I have to move the tiny home every 30 days hahaha LOL

  • Realtor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Aloha! Looking to get involved in the BI Real Estate Community! Whose still an active investor here? I will be getting my salesperson license for Hawaii in less than 90 days. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 179 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    @Chase Kaye are you on IG? I know a few investors on the big island I could connect you with.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Victor Sine:

    If it ends up not bnbing I don’t mind since it’s so cheap


    Unless you really live there, be careful, there're reasons why few areas is cheap, so join the big island FB group. 
    The safest investment could be the condo.

    My primary thesis to purchase is for retirement and WFH/remote working status. But now the Airbnb is fully booked I can't even go there anymore. Good problem to have LOL 

    There's a third choice which is a tiny home, buy land somewhere in Kau and lock everything up, I don't mind. There's few company that could offer this interesting solution, since this is not home the regulation is a bit different, it's just I have to move the tiny home every 30 days hahaha LOL


    Interesting, I lived on Big Island as a kid then moved to Oahu.  My family has land here on Big island, and I wanted to know what I can do about it, would like to learn more about your Tiny home solution as this might be the way to go. I will be on island in September and would like to explore options as well as network with some investors there, any investor group zoom meeting would be great too as I currently live in Las Vegas, Mahalo!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.