Investor · Port Washington, NY · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes
I am looking at a home that is For Sale by Owner. I was looking for some advice on how to approach. Books, places where I would find the right questions to ask? Maybe a script of some sort to help get started with the owner?
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
5y
@Chris Sprinz I'd just start with some natural conversation and interest with the owner. Like how'd I'd approach you on this topic right now: What is the house like? What kind of neighborhood is it located? What do you like about the house? What do you plan to do with the house? Why do you want to buy the house? Do you even want to buy the house? Etc.
I have had great success with FSBO houses. The last house I bought was FSBO and once I made an appointment to see it, the seller wouldn't stop talking about the features and showing me everything. I didn't have to ask many questions, he told me everything, but towards the end of the conversation the questions were:
How did you come up with the price? How much interest have you gotten? Do you have closing paperwork (and details on that stuff)? Can you do owner financing?
And for this deal I did all the paperwork and he did seller financing! Good luck, but go in with an open mind and have a curious conversation with him and listen for his pain points or any issues you can help him solve.