Help getting a pre-approval with a 1099 job?

Help getting a pre-approval with a 1099 job?

Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hello BP community,

I recently just road-tripped from Portland, Oregon to Columbus, Ohio to start building my real estate portfolio here. However, I've just come across a huge hurdle. I received my job letter and it's a 33K annual salary but it's a 1099. 

I am a recent college graduate so I was hoping to use my prior college experience to fulfill the two years of work experience. However, after talking to a lender, I was told this applies only to W2 positions, not 1099s. With a 1099, I absolutely need 2 years of work experience.

I have over 6 figures in investment assets right now (cryptocurrency) and over 40K in fiat. I have the cash and assets to do a 20% down payment without issue. I am hopefully looking to do a HomePossible or 20% down payment.

Are there any lenders who can provide me a pre-approval with my situation? Or what would you recommend me to do? Or should I try to find a local credit union? Would love to get some advice and insight on what to do.

If there are any Cbus investors out there, I'd love to get your recommendations especially

5Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Marc RiceBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Jimmy Lieu

You’ll want to use a commercial lender if you don’t have 2 years as a 1099. The other option is find a partner who has a W2 or 2 years of a 1099 to get the conventional fannie Mae loans.

You could always buy in cash too and refinance with a commercial lender at 70-80% LTV as well.

I’d recommend checking out LimaOne, Aloha Capital, or Wildcat Hardmoney Lending for the commercial route.

Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Hey Jimmy,

    I am an agent for the biggest brokerage in Columbus and would be happy to connect you to the right people and right agent within my network. I lived in Columbus last year but moved back home to the Cleveland area. Feel free to reach out to me and we can help.

    As far as lenders, I've learned that Cross Country Mortgage are very helpful and are able to help under most situations. You may be able to request an income based loan approval for 1099 workers like ourselves.

    I'll PM you my number and email. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Jimmy Lieu seller financing ( the easiest) or portfolio lender. They are out there!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.