First time buyer! House Hacking a Multifamily Home/ New Jersey

First time buyer! House Hacking a Multifamily Home/ New Jersey

Investor · Atl, GA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 39 votes

The house I'm interested in is a triplex and it is paid off by the seller and doesnt have a mortgage. Should I purchase it with a traditional FHA loan or should I ask for seller financing? Any advice?

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I like owner financing because you can usually get some really good terms and it benefits them by reducing their taxes.

    I usually make a strong offer, close to market value. Then I offer an interest rate higher than what the banks are charging, usually 5%. I ask for the loan to be amortized for 30 years but with a balloon payment around 3-5 years. They can cash it out at that point or they can extend another 3-5 years. I have two owner-financed properties that are due for a balloon payment this year but both sellers like the steady income and low tax impact, so we're going to extend it for another three years.

    Owner financing can be done through an attorney. They will prepare a promissory note, a mortgage, and the amortization schedule. It's actually pretty simple and not nearly as complex as the forms required by banks.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Justine Veal depends on your situation.  I tend to prefer low money down conventional mortgages but all comes down to situation.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Investor · Atl, GA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the feedback.  I figured since I want to do some updates to at least one of the units I probably should go with a traditional loan. But I’m still learning 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.