Closing Off Market Deals - Key Things to Know?

Closing Off Market Deals - Key Things to Know?

Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Hey BP Fam,

I am starting a direct mailing campaign for 4-plexes in my area in order to increase the inventory of properties I am seeing as I seek my next investment property.

Therefore, can you help me understand how closing an off market deal differs from closing an on market deal?  I have been able to source a property list, create a sales letter, and sales script confidently, but now I want to understand how to close off market deals quickly and intelligently as I start to mail out my letters to be prepared.  

  1. What best practices or lessons learned have you utilized or gathered from your off market deal experience?
  2. Should I or do I need to use a real estate agent for off market deals?  
  3. What else do you think I should know or what would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help!  I really appreciate y'all.

Respectfully,

Jake

    2Reply
    18 views

    2 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      5y

      I am an agent so I will give advice from my perspective. When I source off market multi family I....

      First cold call/text specific areas/neighborhoods. Gather info on condition, rent, etc. Get an idea on price from the seller. I chat with one of my go to buyers so we can send an offer. From there we send a formal offer with everything we discussed. If everyone signs off on the offer we start due diligence and inspections(like a MLS deal). After due diligence we close. Biggest thing is to add people to excel or a CRM to keep in touch. Not everyone is ready to sell off the bat but follow up is key. People get bugged like crazy, what I learned is to keep it short and sweet.

    • Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
      5y

      @Caleb Brown I really appreciate you sharing your perspective, very helpful.  Specifically around the contract/title transfer, do you work with a real estate attorney to draft something up or just go to a title company?  I am unsure of the best legal way to close a deal and have begun asking for some local referrals. 

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.