International Investor (Ohio or Michigan)

International Investor (Ohio or Michigan)

New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes

Hello Bigger pockets community. I am a Canadian investor looking for single family or small multi family homes for sale in either Ohio or Michigan. I am also looking for Realtors and Mortgage brokers in these areas. If you have any suggestions or work in the fields I would greatly like to connect with you. I look forward to connecting with you and wish you nothing but the best day of life.

3Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Marc RiceBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Chris James Hariski

Ohio offers a lot of great markets to invest in. From the growing Columbus market to the strong cash flowing Cleveland or Dayton markets - you can find a right fit for your investment criteria. In Columbus, there’s also a lot of local sub markets such as Newark, Lancaster, Delaware, Hocking Hills, etc.

Wherever you choose to invest, it’s important to have a good local agent, property manager, contractor, and lender.

Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    You might want to read our series about “How to Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”, since selecting the wrong PMC is usually more harmful than selecting a bad tenant:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to-screen-a-pmc-better-than-a-tenant-part-1-services-and-processes

    You should also consider working with both a real estate agent AND a PMC to find & buy good rentals. Too many agents are clueless when working with investors and even worse when they try to screen tenants.

    A professional agent & PMC will work together at what each does best for your benefit:)

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Thank you Drew I will read that right now

  • Property Manager · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski have you targeted any specific markers in either state?

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Drew Brown, In Ohio I have some people in Cleavland and Columbus. In Michigan I do not know much except Metro Detroit area. Michigan will be the bigger learning curve for me but it is closer to where I live so I am aiming to do more investing in the Michigan area.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski

    Ohio offers a lot of great markets to invest in. From the growing Columbus market to the strong cash flowing Cleveland or Dayton markets - you can find a right fit for your investment criteria. In Columbus, there’s also a lot of local sub markets such as Newark, Lancaster, Delaware, Hocking Hills, etc.

    Wherever you choose to invest, it’s important to have a good local agent, property manager, contractor, and lender.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Investor · Boca Raton FL · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 188 votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski shoot me a DM my team and I are actively wholesaling in Southeast Michigan, I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris James Hariski:

    Hello Bigger pockets community. I am a Canadian investor looking for single family or small multi family homes for sale in either Ohio or Michigan. I am also looking for Realtors and Mortgage brokers in these areas. If you have any suggestions or work in the fields I would greatly like to connect with you. I look forward to connecting with you and wish you nothing but the best day of life.

    It does not matter where you start as long as you develop your Core 4. The core 4 is David Greene’s strategy for long-distance and made up of a realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender. Once you have this team in place, you should be able to confidently invest in any market.

    As for picking a specific market - I would go after one with an increasing job and population growth. I invest and work in Columbus, Ohio. I am also looking to invest in Cincinnati and Cleveland.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris James Hariski:

    Hello Bigger pockets community. I am a Canadian investor looking for single family or small multi family homes for sale in either Ohio or Michigan. I am also looking for Realtors and Mortgage brokers in these areas. If you have any suggestions or work in the fields I would greatly like to connect with you. I look forward to connecting with you and wish you nothing but the best day of life.

     Saw some folks mention Cleveland as a possible landing spot for you. If you're looking at Cleveland you'll want to take a look at The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods for a look at the various levels of risk.

    Good luck playa.

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Hello @James Wise, Thank you I will read that right now.

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Remington Lyman, That is exactly what I am trying I finished David Greene's book just a few days ago. Such a helpful book for someone in my position (being a Canadian). Thank you for the help.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris James Hariski:

    @Remington Lyman, That is exactly what I am trying I finished David Greene's book just a few days ago. Such a helpful book for someone in my position (being a Canadian). Thank you for the help.

     Np!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris James Hariski:

    Hello @James Wise, Thank you I will read that right now.

     Party Hard.

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    As some of the others said, the most important is establishing your team. However, in my opinion, there are a few more options in Ohio when choosing a market. @Chris James Hariski

  • Dave PoeppelmeierBusiness Member
    Realtor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2015 · 491 posts · 722 votes
    5y

    I'm sure you've already done this, but talk to your Accountant/Tax Professional about any potential tax pitfalls coming from investing in RE here in the States. I'm not sure if there would be any differences between MI/OH regarding being Canadian, but really do your homework and get the green light from them. Otherwise, there are tons of posts on here regarding different metro areas of both MI and OH, just choose something that aligns with your personal goals (cash flow vs appreciation,  cash vs financing, etc.). Good luck!

    Keller Williams Citywide | Dave Poeppelmeier534 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 101 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski

    I connected with a property manager in my area who set me up on their MLS system. I usually get emails and information on houses daily in my business email account.

    Also, I inquired about investing OOS and connected with a real estate agent in Cincinnati.  I haven’t worked with him yet, but he did mention being in the business 40 years.  A key mention was that he said he was kind of biased about where he buys houses, but he liked his area because the market doesn’t really affect it that much. 

    For you as an investor, that means you can likely safely predict your cashflow and appreciation in an accurate manner without worrying if the housing market will fluctuate one way or the other.  It should remain stagnant in that area.

    If you’re interested, I can give you his contact information.

  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    Hello Chris. I'm late to the party but both states will provide you great opportunities. I think you should decide on the city statistics, your end goals and most importantly how you will be served by the realtor and property management team you choose to go with in the market of your choice. 

  • Realtor · NWI (Northwest Indiana) · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski

    What's the motivation for just these two markets?

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Tim Polk, Good morning, these two markets are either where I have friends and family living, or through research found to be at a price point where I am able to not be priced out of the market. The USA is large so if you have other options in geographic areas that I should take a look at I would be more than willing to do the research. I look forward to hearing from you.

  • Realtor · NWI (Northwest Indiana) · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    Absolutely, Northwest Indiana.  Fantastic opportunities.  Would be happy to have a conversation.  

  • Realtor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 387 posts · 129 votes
    5y

    @Chris James Hariski.  I’m here in the Metro Detroit area. If you need anything reach out .  Good luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.