How to do an inspection of an apartment complex?

How to do an inspection of an apartment complex?

Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes

Looking at a 38 unit apt. Complex. Largest I’ve done so far is 8 units. What is industry standard for inspections? Are there differ types of inspectors for this? Do I need a structural engineer? Etc. anyone with experience here?

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 63 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    Especially if the building is older, I'd hire structural and electrical engineers to perform a thorough inspection. You may be dealing with fairly complex electrical and structural systems. I suppose you have 38 separate split phase services? 100a, 150a, 200a a piece? For structural, I don't even know where to begin. I definitely wouldn't rely on a "home" inspector. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ken Primrose:

    Looking at a 38 unit apt. Complex. Largest I’ve done so far is 8 units. What is industry standard for inspections? Are there differ types of inspectors for this? Do I need a structural engineer? Etc. anyone with experience here?

    I’m curious as I’ve never bought anything more than a duplex 

    whatever you do, will you walk through with the inspector to learn all you can?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.