How much should I give away on a Deal?

How much should I give away on a Deal?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

I got started late, bought my first Single Family two years ago at age 58.  I now have four--low cost houses, average about 175 per month after management and reserves, about 11.75% profit.  Not getting rich, but don't feel too bad for a beginner.  My question is about the new deal in front of me--My girlfriend (age 63) has a good friend/long time next door neighbor who says they will sell her their 3 bed/1 bath/1 garage house for "what they have into it", about $40K.  Why in the world I don't know, because a fixer upper a few blocks away just sold for 75K .  With some work and about $20,000 to make it nice would push the sell price up around 140K.  Rental (which I would prefer over a flip)  in that neighborhood goes at 900-1500.  I figure even at the low end I could probably clear about 275 per month, possibly much more with a medium quality rehab.  I am hoping the seller will accept a contract with 8K down, 32K on 30 year amortized and a 5 year balloon. HERE'S MY QUESTION- I don't live in Omaha so would propose to give girlfriend 10% to manage (presume permanently) and half of the net for about  the first five years then all to me.  Her idea is that she would like the 10% management, 10% of the net, and her name on the deed.  That item is the big sticking point for me, I suppose because to be honest, I see a less than 50% chance that she and I are going to be a permanent personal couple.  I am bringing all of the knowledge, all the work, the 810 FICO score and all the money to the deal, she has none of those.  All she actually brings is the entry to the opportunity.  I would love to keep it as a rental for the great cash flow especially after that low mortgage is paid.  However if she insists on being on the deed, I wonder if giving her 7-8 thousand like a wholesaler and flipping it would be my best bet, or even giving her a 50/50 or 60/40 share of the (possible) 60K flip.  Any ideas?  Am I totally out in left field on these numbers?

0Reply
34 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Omaha, NE · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    For a 3 bd/ 1 bth in Omaha, you will clear $1000 easily. We have 3 2/1 houses in Omaha, that range from $1050-$1350 and those do not have garages. Whether you flip, or rent, depends on your goals. If your looking to receive as much cash flow from it as possible, buy it at 40K, do your renovations, and put a good tenant it, and let it work for you. If your trying to collect more rentals, sacrificing good chunk of your cash flow, but making up for it with principle pay off and cash to get your next deal, you can buy it at 40k, reno, and cash out refinance. For example, say your estimated value of 140K is correct, you could possibly walk away with 50K in a cash out refinance after renovations, and 25% down payment. Then you made about 15K, after replacing the 25% dp, and essentially got a free rental property. As far as the renovations, what kind of things are you doing? The biggest renovations we did to a house was paint and flooring throughout, whole new kitchen, new electrical, water heater, plumbing, new bathroom, and rebuilt part of the porch, and moved a window, and we didn't reach 20K so that might be a little high. I have pictures of that renovation on my profile.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    You already know the answer. Just say no. This will be a disaster. Now you're financially tied to someone that you wont be with in a few years? You can find your own deals........without the drama and angst....

  • Real Estate Agent · Omaha, NE · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:

    You already know the answer. Just say no. This will be a disaster. Now you're financially tied to someone that you wont be with in a few years? You can find your own deals........without the drama and angst....

    As far as the question with the girlfriend.... What Bruce said. Especially when you even know now its not going to last.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.