How to purchase a property with an unreachable owner

How to purchase a property with an unreachable owner

Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing a condo in a building where I already own another unit.

The unit I would like to purchase has been vacant for at least 4 years. It has a had a FIFA Transferred/Sold status on the tax assessor website since 2018. The HOA dues are being payed (through some sort of autodraft) but are in an old amount, meaning that the HOA dues amount have increased, but the owner's autodrafted payments have not updated to match.

I have purchased a service to find the contact information for the owner, but all available numbers are not reachable/disconnected.

The county office does not have/will not provide contact information for the owner.

Oddly enough, the owner's mailing address is for another property nearby, where the taxes are paid in full.

How do I go about contacting the owner, or the people who have purchased the taxes/paid the taxes on the owner's behalf.
Ultimately, I am looking to purchase the property and get it to an occupied condition.

Thanks,

Sameer

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    4y

    @Sameer Agrawal

    Have you tried sending a letter to the other address? Sometimes good ol’ fashion mail works.

    Canesha

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    4y

    what does the HOA say? have your reached them? which county office won't provide the owner name? tax office?

    -look up the deed, under your county civil records / clerk / recorder. 

    -If all else fails. call a title company and they might be able to dig it up for a fee.

    Reading your post again, looks like you have the owners name?  or just address and old phone numbers? if you have the name, you need to run a skip trace.

    - the other address could be another rental or he lives there.. you could go knock on the door and ask for the owner or a way to reach him if they are tenants?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.