Deal 1: Self Storage Facility - Learn with me & offer support

Deal 1: Self Storage Facility - Learn with me & offer support

Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 24 votes

First thing's first, I was laid off from my job and thinking of creative ways to support myself and escape the matrix. I have $400k in accessible cash looking to deploy towards real estate. I made another post and connected with many others who seem pretty helpful. One of those individuals was Henry Clark who specializes in self storage. This post is going to be dedicated to my first deal in trying to acquire or develop my own self storage facility. Join me with questions, comments, and additional support.

Here are the outline steps of what I plan to do.

1. Analyze a few deals. Being able to determine demand in a particular area involves a few factors. From my short amount of research, self storage is a retail service now. Folks want to be close to their belongings, they want it to be easily accessible. Some places calculate based on population and square footage per person. I'm not sure what's correct, I have more questions than answers. But being able to find a land even if there is a competitor nearby and determine vacancies, pricing, unit dimension demand etc is something that I will need help on. Currently Henry mentioned a deal in Palmdale. 4 acres asking $240,000 for vacant land. Zoned for self storage, problem is it is not in front of any main roads but has a private dirt road off an exit road next to the freeway. More on this deal in an additional thread.

2. Build a template: This is something I will need guidance on. There are a lot of steps in any real estate venture. Getting organized is important to understand how to orchestrate different parties to align timing wise so no time or money is wasted when locking down a loan and needing to make payments. 

3. Secure financing: I currently am talking to US Bank, I've heard they have the most favorable construction loans in the market as of right now, but they are asking to see projections in order to continue talking to me. I believe for every 100k in the bank they would loan out 1mm dollars so long as you have a high paying job, up to a few million. Going to need help putting together a financial projection to prove the business model will expect to make x dollars in y time. I'm not sure what kind of loan I could even qualify for. I dont have a business with tax returns. I'm just getting started.

4. Partner with a GC and construction company: Construction company will supply the block and steel. The GC is responsible for mostly everything else, leveling, drainage, electrical, security, doors, concrete/asphalt, gates, office. I need clear and accurate estimates with to ensure we don't go over budget and that I can also say with $1mm I can build x units, which would net me y dollars. Another factor which is slowing my projections to share with the bank in order to get approval for a loan. 

5. Close on a property: This may be one closing which could include the land along with my loan or it could be me purchasing the land/space outright working with a commercial real estate agent. I'm located in the Southern California, Los Angeles area. If you know any commercial real estate agents that have experience in self storage I would love to connect. I am going to need representation.

Join me in sharing your stories of how you started, any advice you would give to someone new starting out. And by sharing any relevant material you think you would be helpful. It could be excel, presentation, docs, connections, or wisdom. Thank you in advance.

7Reply
233 views

Most Popular Reply

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

I’ll guide you through as needed.  The reason I asked you to do a post is.  I don’t help individuals other than my relatives.  This way other people benefit along with you.  Also don’t trust anything in self storage.  It can all be validated unless you get lazy.  Plus you can get a lot more input from other people on this post.  Anything I say is not financial advice.

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    By now you should see the value of the checklist.   It will help you coordinate and retain your knowledge.   Please highlight the following.  These are the ones that can bite you for $100,000. 
    Storm sewer, storm pond, public bathroom, zoning, utility access water sewer electric fire hydrants, road surface type, surface water flow path.


    As you fill your cost worksheet you will need to remind me what is still open.  

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Let’s work on your PL at the same time.  Use Soarefoot and look up your unit pricing for 10/15/20s.  Use the lower end, but not lowest.  Compare only drive up access.  What size is the lot we were looking at.  Get dimensions so we can build a layout.   Find out setbacks from city.  Use 50 foot turnarounds at both ends of buildings.  25 foot wide driveways.  Make sure your turn in to the gate will accommodate an extended cab truck with a long trailer to get off the road.  About 70 feet. Put a single sided building. 20 footer on the first side of the property.  After that two sided building. With 25 foot driveways between.  For revenue projections use 18 months to get to 65% occupancy.  90% at 30 months.  Never assume 100% for financial planning purposes. Bankers will appreciate in your model. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Sparefoot

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    For the loan and interest just talked with my banker on another deal.  Use 8% for the interest only construction period and the Rent up period to 65% occupancy.   Then assume 7% interest. 5 year balloon with maximum 1% point hike, 25 year term.  You will need to calc PI once you have total cost. Let’s look at 10% and 25% downpayment scenarios. 

  • Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    Running into some setbacks with the city. Also need to wait for them to get back to me on a few things. Here's a summary:

    All roads surrounding the parcel of land are unpaved, however they are public county roads (good news), waiting for confirmation, but seems like the developer is responsible for paving roads to get access to the facility. Between the two main roads thats about a mile of road that needs paving just for accessibility from the nearest main already paved roads. There is also an unmapped road that potentially needs to be accounted for in the build, but I dont think it leads anywhere so hoping they could scrap that. Theyre talking about fees with permitting for compliance, and SPR fees.over 2k in total.

    Nearest water line is about 1100 ft from the property. $100 sq to extend it, or can apply for a well with a tank that could be used in case of fire emergency. Needs approval by fire department once they see the plans. 

    Waiting to hear back if a public bathroom is required on the property. No word from the electric company either. The parcel is surrounded by other vacant pieces of land. 5 in total. 

    P&L is important because I still need to submit that to get started for qualification on the road. Bank wants projections and then personal tax history. According to sparefoot, 

    10/10: $140-$150

    10/15: $125 for 3 months then $250 (a lot seem to be on sale) 

    10/20: $200 for 1 month then $280-$290 

    Happy to share my worksheet with you as I am using a google worksheet, you would be able to make comments there. And we can continue the conversation on BP for visibility of others. 

  • Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    This is also a high wind area

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    My recommendation is you analyze 5 possible deals before you ever try to make a deal.  You want to stay away from lending institutions until you have a vetted plan.  Otherwise you will leave a bad impression with them.  

    Use $140/$200/$250 for your rental rates for now.  No free months or discounts. Will need to make a table of competitor rates and inventory of sizes within 2 miles for your financial package.  

    Need to make a layout of the property we discussed.  Use 50 foot turnarounds.  25 foot driveway widths.  Find setbacks from the planning department.  Check on the zoning rules on square feet minimum not to have fire sprinklers.  Add that to your checklist.  

    Revenue estimates.  First row on the side do a 20 foot deep building.  25 ft road.  Then 30 foot building.  Then a 40 and so on.  We will develop a model to do this in phases. To cover Cashflow breakeven and to keep your downpayment around $200,000 assuming an SBA loan with 10% down.  

    Negatives of doing SBA.  Your future equity can only be used on another SBA deal.  SBA has prepayment penalties.  SBA cannot be used for tenant based rentals unless you use 51% or more of the square footage.  They consider Selfstorage to be entirely you.  

    Based on the above layout we will develop phases.  Lookup my recent posts on quoted cost for buildings. Includes concrete floor, building material, erection cost.  Use those figures as your cost basis.  On your cost sheet put two sections for phase 1 and phase 2 buildings, roads.

    After the above you have land cost, building cost, electric, security, fence, gate, signage, add $60,000 for a livable office. 1,400 sq ft.  

    Add a line for construction insurance of $1,000.

    Add a line for construction interest.  For now use 8% for 1/2 the phase 1 cost for a year. 

    Add a line for permit cost.  Use $30,000 as a place holder.

    All the figures I am giving you, you need to validate and own.      

    Once you have updated let me know what items we still need to address.


    Under Taxes put a sublime for cost segregation.  We will do a study together. 

  • Ewa RezaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 144 posts · 75 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    @James Hamling

    I enjoy helping answer questions on BP.   Glad to share and sharpens my approach.  For example we stay in a 40 mile radius of our house in Iowa and have way more opportunities in small town USA than I could have even imagined.  Helping other people in different parts of the country I’m amazed at the opportunities in storage.  Far better than where we live.  

    I have helped one of my family out.  $310,000 down.  Sold for a profit of $1.2mm 2 years later starting from construction.  Plus he got his $310k back. Plus the rental income during that time.  He is tickled pink.  They are moving to Italy on an assignment for 5 years and will have a great life with cash plus his pensions. Plans to get back into storage when he comes back. 

    Although I did this for family would never do this as a business.  I would literally charge to much. Say 2% of gross total revenue after they hit breakeven at 65% occupancy.  Forever.  And 10% of sales price if they sold.  Mainly don’t want the phone calls. Family is enough.  Plus although Self Storage is great we are focusing on Teak plantations in Belize now.  


    I've been contemplating teak plantations in Belize for a while now. Especially combined with STR or boutique hotel. How did you get started?

  • Ewa RezaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 144 posts · 75 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark could you elaborate on this? I'm trying to find out more about SBA lending for hotel construction....

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Please read my post on investing in Belize for the story. Recommend you don't do Belize STR or teak plantation investments of any type. If you decide to move forward researching after reading my post I can give you some insights into Belize or Teak.

    We try to cross collateralize between assets and loans. Versus selling or refinancing.  
    If you do an SBA loan and let’s say your equity goes up $500,000.  You can’t use that equity for a commercial lender.   They won’t take second position behind another bank.  If you do another SBA loan with the same local participating bank and that SBA group, you can use that equity to help finance another deal.  As long as it qualifies.

    There are prepayment penalties on the sba.  After about 5 years the penalties go away.  This is if you want to refi with only a commercial lender.  SBA loans take a long time to put in place. 

    The virtue of an SBA loan is the lower downpayment and longer terms for both the sba and the participating bank.  

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark this is a massively detailed and informative thread. Thank you!!! Following along & taking notes. Hope Washington has been treating you well!

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Emily Shen:

    @Henry Clark this is a massively detailed and informative thread. Thank you!!! Following along & taking notes. Hope Washington has been treating you well!


    Please use the same type of outline to develop a property checklist. Even though you may use an inspector I would still force yourself to go through the process to build more in depth knowledge. Some people who are financial type investors will say I paid the inspector. But they should also put skin in the game. For SFH and MFH you will use comparables more to set a value.

    If @ E Don moves to the next part of this analysis you will see the financial side of the analysis.   Then we will stress test using higher and lower rates.  Higher and lower occupancy levels. I like showing people failure in Self Storage is still making money.  

    Washington was great.  It was an unusual experience living in Iowa and growing up in Louisiana and Texas the people side of the equation.  It has been a long time since I have been on the west coast.

    Was visiting my brother.  See a Post on to Sell or Not to Sell.  Help him build a location and then he decided to sell.  

    Just got our new passports.  Only took about 2 months. Can’t wait to see our property in Belize.  Missed seeing the toucans and parrots above the house.

  • Matthew BernalBusiness Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 497 posts · 127 votes
    3y
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Any updates

  • The Triangle, NC · Member since 2021 · 189 posts · 117 votes
    3y

    What an amazing thread.   Having been stalled on waiting for the correction in the market for small multifamily, I'm moving into my two backup plans of exploring private money lending and learning about SS.  But rather than buy or build, I'm going to spend several months learning how to property manage at one.  I prefer to work on my business and not in it, but for the time being, working in it will give me what I hope will be amazing hands on experience.   This thread alone is gold.  Thank you to @Henry Clark and other contributors - two thumbs up.  And you @Eric Don for triggering the talk.

    I'm also reading Your Self Storage Planning-Site Selection-Design-Construction and Self Storage Business Plan (both from Marc Goodin).

  • The Triangle, NC · Member since 2021 · 189 posts · 117 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eric Don:

    Running into some setbacks with the city. Also need to wait for them to get back to me on a few things. Here's a summary:

    All roads surrounding the parcel of land are unpaved, however they are public county roads (good news), waiting for confirmation, but seems like the developer is responsible for paving roads to get access to the facility. Between the two main roads thats about a mile of road that needs paving just for accessibility from the nearest main already paved roads. There is also an unmapped road that potentially needs to be accounted for in the build, but I dont think it leads anywhere so hoping they could scrap that. Theyre talking about fees with permitting for compliance, and SPR fees.over 2k in total.

    Nearest water line is about 1100 ft from the property. $100 sq to extend it, or can apply for a well with a tank that could be used in case of fire emergency. Needs approval by fire department once they see the plans. 

    Waiting to hear back if a public bathroom is required on the property. No word from the electric company either. The parcel is surrounded by other vacant pieces of land. 5 in total. 

    P&L is important because I still need to submit that to get started for qualification on the road. Bank wants projections and then personal tax history. According to sparefoot, 

    10/10: $140-$150

    10/15: $125 for 3 months then $250 (a lot seem to be on sale) 

    10/20: $200 for 1 month then $280-$290 

    Happy to share my worksheet with you as I am using a google worksheet, you would be able to make comments there. And we can continue the conversation on BP for visibility of others. 


     Eric,

    How is the analysis project going?   Are you still willing to share your spreadsheet analysis for educational use?   Thank you!

    -pv

  • Huong T NguyenPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    Henry, I recently started following your posts, and appreciate so much the wealth of knowledge you are sharing with us, although I am thinking I might be a little too late to the game. I live in Northen MD and just today found out one Extra Storage location (801 Long Dr, Aberdeen MD) is doing $18 for 5'X6 and $42 for a 8'X10', indoor elevator accessed, climate-controlled taking over its competitors' business. Extra Storage is also offering the lowest prices in certain places in FL. I guess this is their game during lease-up phase but would like to hear your opinion on this. Thanks!

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    During rent up phase some companies have had 1/3 normal rates.  Even 4 months free deals.   This approach works since self storage customers are “sticky” customers.  They don’t tend to leave.  If you’re going to be empty anyways you might as well pull in a customer and hope they stay.

    We don’t offer move in specials or large discounts.   I always say it’s your money and you’re always right.  Each is right based in their business model.  

    You’re never too late to get in.  Read my post “will they come” and analyze your market.  I’m sure there is a lot of good markets and territory in your area. 

  • Huong T NguyenPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    Make sense! Thanks a lot for sharing, Henry! I will keep doing more analysis and looking for land. I will post more questions if you don't mind.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Huong T Nguyen:

    Make sense! Thanks a lot for sharing, Henry! I will keep doing more analysis and looking for land. I will post more questions if you don't mind.


     Sounds good.  Start a separate post. 

  • Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Happy Thanksgiving! I know people were wondering what's been the update on this journey and it's been tough because the Southern California market for developing is extremely rigid. However, I have found a facility who's owner is retiring and looking to sell. I am intending to partner with another investor who works for U-haul and who's wife is the current onsite manager of the facility. They have tremendous experience in the industry, but not much business experience. This is what I intend to bring. 

    We haven't submitted a formal LOI yet because funding for the two of us might be tricky. With the existing relationship with the partners, an ideal scenario would be a seller financing where the bank will payout the owner and we are financing the down payment over however long. I am speaking with the bank soon but hoping @Henry Clark could continue to add any guidance. How should I approach securing funding? 

    Asking price: Between 12-13.5 Mm

    2023 Revenue: 1.55Mm

    2023 NOI: 750k

    Occupancy: 96%

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    Return is not good enough to do the deal.  Is there extra land for expansion?  
    Is the market and zoning for this location hard to build around making this location a premium property?  Back into a price that meets your financial targets.  Make an offer and walk away.  

    The harder it is to build a facility due to land availability and zoning the better the property is.  

    Recommend you keep looking.  But do the numbers in this one.  You want to do about 5 deal analysis before you actually approach a deal.  Look on loopnet or some of the Selfstorage brokers listing. Do deal analysis and compare to this one.  

    It is better to build than to buy right now.  Locations are selling at to high of a premium.  If I put in $12mm of facilities today, I would expect $5mm in market equity day one before I rented a unit.  In other words I would be able to sell for $17mm.  

  • Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Thanks Henry. It doesn't look like there is extra land for expansion on the current property. Next door property would be great for land expansion. Huge parking lot. There's one extra office than can be converted into a 10x15 unit and some parking space that can be converted for trailer usage. That's about the only extra revenue I can see. But there's opportunity to cut expenses. 

    Owner already rejected one offer totaling in 17mm because it was not an all-cash offer, and the owner is and older gentleman looking to ride off into the sunset. I think he is willing to come down in price given the relationship with the current onsite manager and her husband. What is a fair price? Aren't these businesses priced by their cap rate? At the current numbers for a 12mm purchase with 750k NOI. Cap rate is currently at 6.25% What is a strong cap rate to determine purchase price?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I'm the odd duck. I dont use cap rate. Even though Selfstorage is one of the best types of REI to use it.

    We look at cash flow and payback.  
    Change the following numbers.

    Let’s say your cash flow after impact of depreciation, income taxes and interest expense is $600,000 after you add back the depreciation.  

    Say you pay $2mm down on the $12mm so balance of $10mm.

    Let’s be optimistic and use 7% interest rate.  On $10mm is $700k.  Not including the principal.  Your already negative cashflow before principal.  

    The above numbers are wrong. You need to run the numbers.  Then work backwards to a price that fits your goals.  That is your offer price.  Probably going to be in the $6mm to $7mm range. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I like nasty.   Stopped to eat lunch and respond to you. In front of me is an old supermarket which has been empty for about a year. Subject to zoning and a paint job I see storage.  Also see a $1mm profit within a year if I would decide to sell.  If someone else was to do this and i bought from them, they would get the $1mm gain. And I would get a bigger loan to pay off.


    This is near our market.  I already know this town needs more storage because they come to me.  Also know there is no land zones correctly which makes it hard to do storage.  But if I can get this zoned or special use permit this is more valuable because it is hard for competition to come in.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.