Buying a property in pre-foreclosure, also in Bankruptcy?

Buying a property in pre-foreclosure, also in Bankruptcy?

Wholesaler · Delmar, NY · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 9 votes

Good Morning,

   Has anyone found any ways to buy a property when it is on a foreclosure track or pre-foreclosure but before the bank has finished the process without having to go through a full short sale? I have found that the short sale process is typically a discouraging grind for homeowners who have walked away and want to move on with their life but would be willing to sign an authorization with us to allow us to negotiate on their behalf.

 Also does anyone have any experience negotiating with the bank if the owner is in or threatening bankruptcy and does that help?

Thank You

Brian

0Reply
25 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    10y

    Threatening a BK is not a negotiation tool with the mortgage servicer in my opinion. If a borrower is in BK then the bank likely will require a BK discharge / dismissal or a motion to sell prior to or while in the short sale review to continue moving forward. Let me know if you have any questions about anything short sale related, please feel free to reach out to me. 

  • Wholesaler · Delmar, NY · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    How do you get short sales done when you have owners who have emotionally and logistically moved on from the homes?

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Brian Degener, is there a specific name for the authorization letter the homeowners would need to sign to allow you to speak with their lender?

    I'd like to search around on Google, but am not familiar with what this letter is called... Thank you!

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Shannon K.:

    @Brian Degener, is there a specific name for the authorization letter the homeowners would need to sign to allow you to speak with their lender?

    I'd like to search around on Google, but am not familiar with what this letter is called... Thank you!

    There is no such thing as a letter authorizing you to speak to the lender. While in theory a 3rd party authorization will authorize you to speak on the loan in place of the borrower, good luck with that. The lender isn't going to share anything with you. If your objective is to get information to make a purchase, you'll need an agent for that and the agent will get 3rd party authorization AFTER the borrower has the property listed on the open market and AFTER the agent presents a full package purchase offer to the borrower which THEN gets submitted to the bank for review. No, it doesn't happen any other way and anyone telling you it does is blowing smoke in your ear.

  • Wholesaler · Delmar, NY · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    My experience in the past month is that we have been able to get 3rd party Auths and call the lender directly but only to the extent it allows us to still submit a short sale package.......this is my personal experience.

  • Wholesaler · Delmar, NY · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Call me to discuss 3rd party auths 518

    253

    7094

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    10y

    Yes, I get 3rd party authorization letters signed off on by borrowers on a daily basis to speak to their mortgage servicers. 

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Ron S. --- I was under the assumption from what I've read here on BP that it was possible to put together something like @Brian Degener and @Brett Goldsmith were referring to.  I was just looking to gather some knowledge on what the form might be called if I ever need to call someone's lender on their behalf and figure out what the payout on their loan might be or if I wanted to put together a short sale package and send the contract to their lender. I don't mind doing the legwork!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    10y

    It's a 3rd party authorization form. @Shannon K. or call with borrower and get a verbal authorization. Feel free to contact me with any questions. 

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Shannon K.:

    @Ron S. --- I was under the assumption from what I've read here on BP that it was possible to put together something like @Brian Degener and @Brett Goldsmith were referring to.  I was just looking to gather some knowledge on what the form might be called if I ever need to call someone's lender on their behalf and figure out what the payout on their loan might be or if I wanted to put together a short sale package and send the contract to their lender. I don't mind doing the legwork!

    The buyer is never going to work directly with the lender. The agent for the buyer may, with 3rd party authorization, to the extent that they submit a short sale package. Typically, the buyer's agent isn't going to be working with the lender/servicer. The buyer's agent will work with the sellers (Borrowers...AKA Bank) agent. The seller's agent is the only one that talks with the lender.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    10y

    I agree, the bank will see a conflict of interest if they catch wind buyer is calling. Can result in a buyer being blacklisted from the deal. 

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    Oh ok, very good. That makes sense. Thank you guys. Brian, sorry for hijacking your post a bit here!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.