Buy Tax delinquent property NYC

Buy Tax delinquent property NYC

Staten Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP community,

My partner and I are looking to market to home owners in NYC with delinquent taxes.

Here is my question: 

Once the property tax lien was sold at the tax lien auction to tax lien servicing company like TCM, can I still buy the property from the home owner? I.E. does it make sense to continue marketing to my tax lien list after the auction? or I will need to deal with TCM?

Any feedback on this topic is greatly appreciated, I am also using other sources to research this topic, so if I find out anything, I will be sure to share as well.

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    I don't know NY specific law. I general if a tax lien is sold yes you can still buy the property from the owner. The tax lien simply gets paid off at settlement.  However if a tax foreclosure has started then you have a deadline and need to get the deal closed before the foreclosure is final or pay the taxes off in advance of settlement.

  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Ned thank you, the info you provided is very accurate in NY as well, I received the same feedback from tax lien servicing company yesterday as well

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.