What are the potential risks in tax deed sale ?

What are the potential risks in tax deed sale ?

Everett, WA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

1. What are the potential risks when a person decides to buy a tax deed property ?

2. How important to read and understand a title report before buying a tax deed property? 

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Consultant · Ball Ground, GA · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 100 votes
    9y

    1.  I think one of the risks is purchasing a property that no one wants to purchase.   IE, a ditch, a road, a power company right of way, etc.   next risk is not understanding what you have.  Do I have title?   Do I have federal liens, city liens, etc that the buyer is responsible for paying.   Next, is understanding the laws of the state.  So I buy a tax deed, but in state like GA, I have a 1 year right of redemption.   So I am sitting on this property until the redemption period is over before I can flip it.   

    2.  I think it is extremely important to understand who has title and if there was a break in title.   Not that you have to run a title report but you need to know what will be on the title report by doing your research with the county.  

    joe

  • Everett, WA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you Joe for your detail and informative response. I would like to continue my question: 

    1. What kind of risk factors would cause a tax deed buyer loses his total amount of tax deed purchase after the tax deed auction sale?

    2. If buy and hold a tax deed property, would the title of the property be insurable after 7 years?  

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Carrie Sun:

    Thank you Joe for your detail and informative response. I would like to continue my question: 

    1. What kind of risk factors would cause a tax deed buyer loses his total amount of tax deed purchase after the tax deed auction sale?

    2. If buy and hold a tax deed property, would the title of the property be insurable after 7 years?  

    1.  Fire or natural disaster before insuring the property.  A judge voiding the tax sale after you put $$$ into it. 

    2. The title would only be insurable after quiet title action.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.