• Chicago, IL
Votes |
Sheriff Auction Surplus

Tim Wittenborn
  • Flipper
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Oct 2 2017, 14:09

Hello BP!

I recently purchased an auction property for 103k.  The amount owed on the loan was 75k.  Since the sale was confirmed by the judge today, I was on the phone with the sheriff's foreclosure department asking questions about the deed.  I randomly asked about the excess money paid and what happens to it.  The representative confirmed that there is a 27k surplus that the sheriff's office will hold on to until the owner  or heirs claim it.  She said that she was not sure if I was on the list of people that would be able to claim the surplus.

The owner is deceased and has no heirs.  There are no addresses for any person other than the address of the home I purchased.  All of the correspondence going to the deceased and heirs are being send to the same property.  No one has maintained the mail or the home, and no one responded or attended the hearing.

I'm not getting excited here, but the idea that my purchase might be 27k cheaper is seriously giving me chills!  Any one go through this before?  Any chance I will see that money after the non-existent heirs don't claim it?  

Thanks for the tips,

Tim W.

Loading replies...